Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UsernameTaken

Reaction score
So I have finally got my beer in kegs and I am over the moon with the end of bottles!

I have my kegs in a fridge and I opted for the the cheap and easy picnic taps just to get me started.

But now the picnic taps must go. The crowning glory will be the 3 or 4 taps mounted on the outside of the fridge door.

However, there seems to be many options for taps ranging from as low as $30 for Brumby style regular tap to as much as $100 for a gold plated flow control tap. The Euroball tap at $60 also looks interesting?

So what can people tell me about the pros and cons of these various taps and the need for flow control?

I assume with the cheapest options you get what you pay for, so I am happy to spend some money. But I do not want to waste money of unnecessary or excessive features!

Cheers,
UNT

I have 2 FC (545s) and one SS intertap. I really like the intertap, though if the temp difference starts happening the little bit in the tap can get stuck. A few minutes wait under the aircon fixes it. My fault for not cleaning between kegs.

FC has another pro, if you get a leak but are unable to attend to it until the keg os finished, it acts as a backup leak control.

Still like a plastic picnic tap. They don't look much but are pretty much hassle free.

You could write an essay on the topic as there is heaps of things to consider but here is my take on it.

I dont think you really have to go for stainless taps. The only advantage is that you run some heavier duty cleaners through stainless taps and shanks. ?.

If your beer lines are well chilled i dont think you really need flow control but they can come in handy.

I like push in fittings (John Guest) but they are not necessary.

Any tap will work well if you clean them regularly but i think the cheaper taps can get stuck and even break. I like forward sealing taps as they drip less (or not at all) and are easy to clean (Perlick)
If you have the cash some people swear by Andale (dk, ek?) Taps.

I just got an SS Intertap which i really like so far. A great cheaper option to Perlick. Have a read of the Intertap thread. Heaps of other info on hear on the subject. By the time i finish writing this someone else will probably tell you the same thing.

Not necessary, but have a look at snap lock.
It is a quick disconnect for the tap (with auto shutoff).

Pro's:
Easy to remove tap for cleaning, or to put in the fridge to cool down, or to stop freeloaders drinking all your RIS
If you have a portable setup, you could just transfer a tap across temporarily.

Cons: more expense.

You can get the through fridge snaplock things aswell as the tap adapter (depending on your tap) from Andale for ~$40 IIRC

I have Lancer brumbies and Andale Florite's... both work, each differently, I like them both

nosco said:
You could write an essay on the topic as there is heaps of things to consider but here is my take on it.

I dont think you really have to go for stainless taps. The only advantage is that you run some heavier duty cleaners through stainless taps and shanks. ?.

If your beer lines are well chilled i dont think you really need flow control but they can come in handy.

I like push in fittings (John Guest) but they are not necessary.

Any tap will work well if you clean them regularly but i think the cheaper taps can get stuck and even break. I like forward sealing taps as they drip less (or not at all) and are easy to clean (Perlick)
If you have the cash some people swear by Andale (dk, ek?) Taps.

I just got an SS Intertap which i really like so far. A great cheaper option to Perlick. Have a read of the Intertap thread. Heaps of other info on hear on the subject. By the time i finish writing this someone else will probably tell you the same thing.
I would generally agree with the note about stainless, though incidentally a lot of the cheap shitty taps happen to be PC brass... it's not this property that makes them bad, just shitty ones re more commonly brass or even plastic.

The though the design of the PC brass intertaps is the same as the SS ones, the SS are $10 only more, so why not :D

I started with the el cheapo PC brass brumby style taps, rubbish, didn't take me long to go to intertaps.

I didn't go flow control only because I wasn't that fussed about extra line length to balance things out, though retrospectively when I move to a tap than can do house more kegs I'll probably go FC

>why not

I forgot about line length with the flow controls. Something to consider if you are loading kegs into the top of a chesty.

Flow control is handy as you don't need to be as precise when balancing your system and can slow it right down for the first pour to minimize foaming.

Ultimately good taps will last for a very long time so if you can afford it upon the get some really good ones and you will never be inclined to upgrade!

I have 4 of the rotoflow taps and am very happy with the purchase.

I have three of the Ebay gold plated euro style flow control taps bought for about $30 each.

If you look very closely and are pedantic they probably arn't as well finnished as a more expensive tap, but have worked fine for me so far and are very BLINGY B)

I have them mounted in a Keg-King SS three tap font with a font fan and 1.2 m long lines.

The taps stay coolish but with the flow control I can dial it back for the first bit of a pour until the tap chills some more and the outlet is under beer then turn it up to completely fill my Stein.

contrarian said:
Flow control is handy as you don't need to be as precise when balancing your system and can slow it right down for the first pour to minimize foaming.
Absolutely agree, then crank it up to finish the pour quickly into your 1L stein

Mate save your money I've been kegging for 12 years. A ss Pluto gun is the best. Don't have to worry about taps getting hot or the flies connect to the corny keg leave the Pluto on the top of the keg inside the fridge. The best practical solution

This is one of those questions where if you ask ten brewers you'll likely get ten different answers.

Some people swear by the SS flow control Perlicks, others by Brumby's, and others by D.A's.

I personally like the Andale D.A or flowrites. This is in comparison to Perlicks, E.K, and Brumby taps that I've also used. I can't comment on the rotos personally but only ever heard good things.

I like the control Da's/flowrites have with a pour, the ability to slightly depress the handle and create a nice creamy head of tight, small bubbles. The down side is there are more parts to clean in comparison to a Perlick, but it is not a big deal for me personally.

I agree with others that it helps in balancing your system to have flow control, that is easily overcome though with a little bit of experimentation with regards to line length and diameter.

With regards to the fittings, I do like the lock-in fittings in the D.A taps after having a ball bearing come loose in a snap lock fitting and not being able to hold in a tap without leaking.

Some swear by John Guest fittings, I prefer barb.

Thanks for all your replies - very helpful.

I must admit the pluto gun theory is appealing if there is a risk of the taps getting warm and upsetting the beer!

Can people with taps give me some idea of how much of an issue this has been for them?

Cheers,
UNT

koolkuna said:
Mate save your money I've been kegging for 12 years. A ss Pluto gun is the best. Don't have to worry about taps getting hot or the flies connect to the corny keg leave the Pluto on the top of the keg inside the fridge. The best practical solution
This guy knows where its at! I love my ss pluto gun practical on a home brew level and look freakin cool. Great for giving your smart arse mate an unexpected spray too

The last couple of days have been pretty hot here in Sydney. I just turn the font fan on and leave in on permanently. There is a bit of condensation on the font and taps and the first 10-20mL has a bit more foam than the rest, but otherwise it's all good.

Problem with picnic taps or pluto guns in the fridge is that opening the fridge will let out all the cold air. Do that a few times an hour and the fridge is permanently on just to compensate for the constant door opening.

I suppose a chest freezer with pluto gun or picnic taps would work best. The cold air lost due to opening the top lid would be minimal when compared to a fridge.

Personally, I have my system tuned for the first 'warm' pour, cause 99% of the time, im the only one drinking. As a result, pours straight after usually get little head. A small inconvenience.

What i usually do:
Flick the tap on and off pretty quickly, ~20ml (this gets some cold beer into the tap to cool it down a little)
Give the small sample a wiff and check for bugs (sometimes I find that the beer in the tap can go bad in the heat, also, bugs like the sweet residue)
Either chuck the small amount or keep it
Continue pour

I did the same thing and started with the picnic taps. I'm currently doing a keezer build and bought 4 x SS Brumby taps from Ebay.

I used to work in a brewery that had a few Perlick taps as well as Brumby. Personally I hate taking apart the Perlicks for cleaning, I find them fiddly to put back together so that the handle would align and I don't think they're worth it for the price (can't comment on Intertap). I like the 3 piece Brumby design and SS will never die.

I'm in the process of getting the 'warm pour' issue sorted. I'll post something on it when I get to finishing it. Basically it's a fan to blow concentrated cold air up the font but able to be turned on and off.

I must say, I prefer my plastic picnic tap for that reason (and a few others), but the bling of 'real' taps is so cool.

Yep I agree with the above(edit 4 above, slow typer, work distractions!) For me opening the fridge and letting the cold air out, would be too much efficiency loss. + PITA.
My fridge with through door taps is on it's last legs, compressor is almost constantly running in summer in the shed.
I've just purchased a chest freezer to convert, to try and optimise power use.
My shed gets super hot in summer, will be putting a evap cooler on the roof, (Adelaide they work o.k here)
The taps do get pretty warm and first pour in summer results in pouring 100ml or so of foam, then tip down sink. ( to cool tap)
I reckon I'm going to get one of the cheap chrome plated PVC 3 tap towers for my chest freezer, (less of a heat sink compared to stainless).
I wanted to build something pretty wild, but I just want cheap to run, trouble free motoring.
Thinking of a glycol tank with 12v pump with timer, override switch. Run a copper pipe up to then back down the font tower. With the beer lines (3) running against the copper pipe. Encase in ali foil, then insulation around.
Any way back on topic Taps.
To answer your foaming question. I think it's best to keep your beer line as cold as possible think external towers - difficult to keep line in it cool.
Fridge door mounted - no drama. first pour on a hot day will always result in a little foam till tap is cool. For me that's a given, pour a bit of foam tip in sink.

I'm leaning towards the Inter tap stainless, maybe one FC. This is due to the price, and forward sealing.
I was off them with the leaking bonnet but it appears from feed back this has been sorted.
Appears they are very popular on the USA forums, they were even ordering them on mas from Aus and NZ suppliers.

I'd be keen to hear feed back on the The Euroball tap style, I don't know anything about them.

As I've said I just keep it simple. A Pluto gun Beer Line @ 100kpa
5mm X 3.3 Mtrs
4mm X 2.4 Mtrs
Grain and Grape Advise
Working a treat for years
I have a second hand fridge with a controller set at 3 Degrees. I think there is minimal loss of cooling when you open the fridge because the chill of the kegs which quickly compensate for the loss 99% of the time it's only me drinking ! I also have a beer jug which helps with any top ups with the boy's

So how often do taps or pluto guns need to be dismantled for cleaning?

Back