Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel80

Reaction score
Hi,

as the description states, I have a set of taps for my Kegerator that are the Ebay Long Shank Specials and the barb is too big for my 5mm ID line to fix reliably. I think the barbs are about 7mm.

I checked out craftbrewer and they sell replacement 6mm tap elbows but they are listed as not available atm.

Anyone know where i can get some replacements with 5 or 6mm barbs? I am in Perth. I will order tonight if interstate, or pick up Saturday if somewhere in Perth.

Cheers,

D80

yeah, put the jug on.
also you could jam some needle nose pliers in the line to give it a stretch

tried twoc? he may have something there

Yeah before you start wasting money on extra elbows and stuff.. :)

Boil the jug, get your nice pink dish washing gloves ready.

Then look for something that you can stick in the line. The other night I used plastic chopsticks, and a pen with the ink tube removed. It had a nice metal conical tip.

Pour the water over the tube for a good 5-10 seconds, then quickly stick the enlargening device into the hole. Pour more water on the tube if you like, then rip the pen out, and shove the tube onto the barb. It will take a bit of cajoling, but you can do it. You'll need gloves, because the line will be bloody hot. Good luck!

I did this the other night for 5mm line onto 8mm barbs. Was a nightmare, but got there in the end.

Or Neil at Brewmart in Bayswater? He seems to have a shedload of connections/shanks/nuts/etc - take the tap and the line in, and he'll probably have something to sort you out.

5mm line onto 8mm barb, well if that can be done i should be a shoe in!

Will i need hose clamps if going to all this effort or will the fit be tight enough?

I have 5mm ID on a 6mm disconnect barb for gas and no leaks, but if i am massacring the line, might i overstretch it?

Thanks for the tips!

It helps if you heat the barb and the tube (and the needle nose pliers).
Pour some boiling water into a coffee mug and soak the parts for a few minutes.
Some gloves might help to stop burning your fingers.

As well as heating and stretching also get some lube on the barb. Makes life a lot easier.

I use a little creme brulee maker type of blow torch to do this type of heating... from a slight distance, get it hot enough while jamming it on with the other. Just avoid burning the plastic...

Nightmares involving needlenose pliers and hot water is why I went with JG fittings when I upgraded my keg fridge ;)

cut the end of the line on a slight angle to get a little leverage when initially getting it on

get it soft with boiling water, deform the opening with a pen or similar, more water... and push it in like you've never done before!

We believe in you buddy, but only because we have done it before.

I have never had to heat the barb, but I agree with multiple stretch/heat attempts.

Max, that tip about cutting on a slight angle first sounds like a good one. To my simple mind anyway :p

I am fixing the collar tomorrow night and bracing the lid / hinges on thursday or so, by the weekend i should be ready to tackle the taps!

Can't wait to get this bad boy up and running.

D80

As well as heating and stretching also get some lube on the barb. Makes life a lot easier.

I tried some heat and lube on my last lot and fopund that the lube can create leaks. I used it on the gas disconnects and found they can rotate on the line causing a leak at times.

I also find that if you heat up too much of the line for too long then it can "collapse" (in search for a better term) on itself making it harder to push onto the barb.

i found a big philips head screwdriver + cup of boiling water to loosen her up works fine. Just heat line shove screwdriver in and repeat. it can be a PITA but if i can get it on with 4mm ID line you should be right.

Get your hose pregnant, wait 9 months. That'll open 'er up nicely.

Don't forget a pile of bandaids near by as well as those barbs can take a loverly scallop of flesh out.
The barbs on my counter flow chillers are a ******* size too and covered in blood!
Chris

Latest posts

Back