Tapping 40lt pot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diggs

Reaction score
I'm sure I saw something on how to do this, I'm comfortable with the drilling etc but I'd hate to screw up the position.
I was thinking approximately 5cm from the base for the center of the whole so it won't draw off any hot/cold break or trub?

True that you don't want to stuff it up, but I would put it as low as you possibly can... even in the bottom. Trub/break shouldn't be an issue if you whirlpool and have a bazooka screen.

How are you heating?

you could also add a pick up tube you can bend (or rotate) once you get used to the pot / brewday and your trub / losses etc

Thanks guys.
Trying to keep it low tech, but I guess both of those fit the brief :)
Just stovetop gas cooler currently, looking to go to a Rambo or similar down the track.

Should also clarify I'm BIAB too.

Ah man, lost my post from before.

Rambo burners put out a lot of power, so I don't think solder or an o-ring would be up to it in the bottom of the pot. If you know someone who can TIG, that would be a great option to put an elbow on the bottom.

Otherwise, in the side of the pot you will need a step drill with a 22mm step. Just make sure it isn't too close to the round bit of the pot.

Craftbrewer sell 1/2" stainless nuts, threaded pipe and heavy duty silicone o-rings that will suit. The nuts are great because they are recessed for the o-ring and have one thin side to get you a close to the bottom as possible. You then lock this side to bottom and do it up from the outside.

Whirlpooling is very effective, so I recommend you do it. A bazooka screen is a good backup, but not 100% necessary if you're careful and do a good whirlpool.

Cheers for the advice Adr_0, I need an excuse to get out to Bachus anyway!

Might wait for payweek though so I can pick up some grain at the same time (and maybe a 5lt keg).

Latest posts

Back