Tapking bottle inner lining

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barge

Reaction score
G'day everyone,

I've been refilling tapking bottles for a couple of months now. Just finished a bottle and have found that there is an inner lining that has filled up with the slurry from the bottom of the bottle.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea what I can do about it?

Cheers

The bottles seem to degrade over repeated use. Have had layers of the pet separate, and have even had 2 bottles fail for no apparent reason. This resulted in beer all over my shed. Have now gone to kegging. Tread very light if force carbing one of these going off in your face would be nasty

Has anyone else experienced this?
Yup. They aren't designed to be used multiple times. Some bottles I used separated after a couple uses some 4-5 uses.
Any idea what I can do about it?
Nothing except to get new tap king bottles.

Thanks guys.

I've pulled the linings out. Do you reckon it could still be used in the short term? I have just enough for a batch.

Far from a good idea. I think they're PET inside and out with a layer of nylon sandwiched in between. The PET is an envelope holding the nylon and you've broken the envelope. Better you than me carbing that. Flimsy structure at best of times and structure is in the PET

The lining is to stop oxygen permeation. If you remove it, expect your beer to age very poorly.

It doesn't last long enough for age to be an issue but I can see how that would be a problem.

I agree on the flimsiness (for want of a better word). The bottle deforms easily and seems quite weak. I was initially more concerned with trying to sterilise it but I am going to just chuck it. I have switched to naturally carbing so I think it would hold up okay under 2.4 volumes but I'm not keen to find out.

Looks like it's time to get a corny. Hmmm...father's day is soon,

I've modified mine to take 2.3 vols in carbonation. I've only had one bottle decompose so far.

Back