Taphouse's Hottest 100 Craft Beers 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fents

Not a Beer God
Reaction score
So the results are in : http://craftypint.com/features/post/hottes...e-full-rundown/

whats everyones thoughts on the list? did anyone off here vote? and no im not posting this just to get "kudos" we did well but i just want to know what everyone thinks the list represents.

The big WIN is for the industry in my opinion.

1 McLaren Vale Ale

2 Little Creatures Pale Ale

3 Stone & Wood Draught/Pacific Ale

4 Feral Hop Hog

5 Kooinda Pale Ale

6 Matilda Bay Fat Yak

7 White Rabbit Dark Ale

8 James Squire Golden Ale

9 McLaren Vale Dry

10 Hawthorn Pale Ale

11 Little Creatures Bright Ale

12 Coopers Pale Ale

=13 Holgate Temptress Chocolate Porter

=13 Mountain Goat Hightail Ale

15 Murrays Icon 2IPA

16 Endeavour 2010 Reserve Pale Ale

17 Knappstein Reserve Lager

18 Hargreaves Hill ESB

19 White Rabbit White Ale

20 James Squire Amber Ale

=21 Moo Brew Pale Ale

=21 Nail Brewing Clout Stout

23 Matilda Bay Alpha Pale Ale

24 Nail Brewing Nail Ale

25 Red Hill Imperial Stout

26 Coopers Sparkling Ale

27 Endeavour 2010 Reserve Amber Ale

28 Murrays Spartacus

29 Mountain Goat Double Hightail.

30 Holgate ESB

31 Mountain Goat Steam Ale

=32 Bridge Road Brewers B2 Bomber

=32 Little Creatures Rogers

34 True South Summer Ale

35 Red Hill Scotch Ale

36 Matilda Bay Beez Neez

37 Jamiesons The Beast IPA

38 Boatrocker Alpha Queen

39 Hawthorn Amber Ale

40 Bridge Road Chevalier Saison

41 Feral White

42 Lord Nelson Brewery Three Sheets

43 Burleigh Brewing Black Giraffe

44 Bridge Road Brewers Galaxy Single Hop IPA

45 Murrays Heart Of Darkness

46 Bridge Road Brewers Bling IPA

=47 Matilda Bay Big Helga

=47 True South New World Pilsner

49 2 Brothers James Brown Belgian Ale

=50 Moo Brew Imperial Stout

=50 Murrays Grand Cru

=50 Murrays Punch & Judy

=53 3 Ravens 55

=53 Mountain Goat Rare Breed Double IPA

55 Feral Fanta Pants Imperial Red Ale

56 2 Brothers Growler

57 2 Brothers Voodoo

=58 Little Creatures Pilsner

=58 Murrays Wild Thing

=60 Matilda Bay Dogbolter

=60 True South Dark Ale

=62 Holgate Hopinator

=62 James Squire Porter

=62 Red Hill Christmas Ale

=65 Bridge Road Brewers Beechworth Australian Ale

=65 Little Creatures Single Batch Brown Ale

=65 Moo Brew Hefeweizen

68 Steam Exchange Truffles Porter

=69 Bridge Road Beechworth Pale Ale

=69 Goodieson Brewery Pale Ale

=69 James Squire Pilsener

=69 Red Hill Temptation

=73 Boatrocker Hoppbier

=73 Burleigh Brewing 28 Pale Ale

=73 Matilda Bay Redback Original

=73 Murrays Whale Ale

=77 Brew Boys Ace of Spades

=77 Coopers Vintage 2010

=79 Feral Boris Russian Imperial Stout

=79 Mountain Goat Rare Breed IPA

=79 Murrays Nirvana

82 Stone & Wood Pale Lager

=83 Arctic Fox American Pale Ale

=83 Kosciuszko Pale Ale

=83 Pepperjack Ale

=83 Red Duck Bengal IPA

=87 James Squires Sundown Lager

=87 Red Hill Weizenbock

89 Feral Raging Flem

=90 Feral Funky Junky

=90 Grand Ridge Moonshine

=92 3 Ravens USB

=92 True South Red Truck Lager

=92 Wicked Elf Pale Ale

=95 Balmain Brewing Pale Ale

=95 Hargreaves Hill Pale Ale

=95 Holgate Road Trip IPA

=95 Holgate White Ale

=95 Little Creatures Single Batch IPA

100 Bridge Rd Chevalier Bier de Garde

it just goes to show thats it a popular vote (generally) and not a true indication of the "best" "craft" brewed beers... Hence 2 Mclaren Vale Beers in the top 10..

Personally, Matilda Bay, James Squire etc dont belong on this type of list...

it just goes to show thats it a popular vote (generally) and not a true indication of the "best" "craft" brewed beers... Hence 2 Mclaren Vale Beers in the top 10..

Personally, Matilda Bay, James Squire etc dont belong on this type of list...

They belong there more than Coopers Pale Ale.

McLaren Vale Ale as number 1.... looks like marketing wins.

I was wondering about coopers & little creatures being on there until I saw matilda bay & squires. I'd like to know how lion nathan & cub got on the list. There's a lot of beers on that list that aren't available in Adelaide (that I've seen).

Edit: yes, that was a hint that I'd like to see some Kooinda here. I was at the Wheaty on Monday & Jade was saying she'd love to sell it there. Nice work on 5th spot fellas.

I was wondering about coopers & little creatures being on there until I saw matilda bay & squires. I'd like to know how lion nathan & cub got on the list. There's a lot of beers on that list that aren't available in Adelaide (that I've seen).

Edit: yes, that was a hint that I'd like to see some Kooinda here. I was at the Wheaty on Monday & Jade was saying she'd love to sell it there. Nice work on 5th spot fellas.

It's craft beer not independently made beer or micro-brewed beer.

I don't think Coopers Pale Ale is a craft beer but I do think JS and Matilda Bay make some craft beers. Little Creatures exclusively make craft beers.

It's craft beer not independently made beer or micro-brewed beer.

I don't think Coopers Pale Ale is a craft beer but I do think JS and Matilda Bay make some craft beers. Little Creatures exclusively make craft beers.

& the difference between craft beer & any other beer is..........

Just did a queck check, I've had about half of the field over the last couple of years.

According HomeBrew-Center, An American term which refers to beer brewing using traditional methods. This type of beer is brewed to be distinctive and flavorful rather than appeal to everyone.

I guess it comes down to whether 2 fairly different beers (ie JS IPA vs Hahn Super Dry) that are made by the same company (Lion Nathan) can be separated on quality or grouped by owner?

Just did a queck check, I've had about half of the field over the last couple of years.

interesting, only one brewboys, no lobethal bierhaus and no steam exchange...yet coopers gets 2 places...

Yeah Fents, I was talking to Jade with Hatchy. Why can we get brewdog, mikkeller and nogne o on tap at the wheatsheaf, yet we can't get kooinda? I'll drive down personally in my van to pick up some kegs...

interesting, only one brewboys, no lobethal bierhaus and no steam exchange...yet coopers gets 2 places...

Yeah Fents, I was talking to Jade with Hatchy. Why can we get brewdog, mikkeller and nogne o on tap at the wheatsheaf, yet we can't get kooinda? I'll drive down personally in my van to pick up some kegs...

Just out of interest mate, what Brewdog beer was on tap and where? Cheers. ;)

<snip> Confused by Craft brew definition am I but seems to be anything marketed as such??

I like the Moo Brew stuff from the list, haven't had that many of the others, at least memorably so. Hated the Holgate stuff for example. The Fat Yak was hoppy but not doing it so much for me. Subjective taste/memory ahoy..

Just out of interest mate, what Brewdog beer was on tap and where? Cheers. ;)

don't know which ones, can't remember they will be on tap at the wheatsheaf in the coming weeks (maybe days, or they could be on tap at the moment). I think that it might be I hardcore you...but had a few drinks whilst I was talking to Jade so memory is a bit hazy. I think they will be having 2 different beers and a few kegs of them...

Cheers
Phil

If you don't know the difference not sure I can help you. There's probably a 'top 100 beers' list including all the non-craft ones with crap like Corona sitting right up the top.

Steam Exchange Truffles is on there & coopers got 3 spots with sparkling, pale & vintage. Brewboys certainly didn't put in any effort to get people to vote for them. I drink there every weekend & hadn't heard about this until this morning.

I'm happy to share the driving to pick up some Kooinda.

If you don't know the difference not sure I can help you. There's probably a 'top 100 beers' list including all the non-craft ones with crap like Corona sitting right up the top.
Everone's going to have their own opinion about what constitutes a 'craft' beer.... but what was the criteria set by the Taphouse? If they fit within the criteria then all's fair as far as i'm concerned ;) Some there that i agree with,some i wonder about..... :rolleyes:

I think their criteria was "not brewed by CUB/Lion Nathan/Fosters MAIN operations"...

not that I personally agree with that criteria...

Everone's going to have their own opinion about what constitutes a 'craft' beer.... but what was the criteria set by the Taphouse? If they fit within the criteria then all's fair as far as i'm concerned ;) Some there that i agree with,some i wonder about..... :rolleyes:

Fair enough.

To me it's probably sort of hard to define in words, but I can easily try a beer and say whether it's craft or not.

In this country, almost everything that isn't a mega lager is a craft beer. I wouldn't call Coopers Pale Ale a craft beer though. It's megaswill albeit half descent mega swill. James Squire IPA may not be the most hardcore IPA around but I still think it's a craft beer.

Where it gets interesting is JS Golden Ale. I definitely would have used to have called it a craft beer, but it gets more and more megaswill tasting by the day and the last one I have I certainly wouldn't call a craft beer.

I think craft beer is a very broad term and it doesn't have a lot to do with the ownership status of the brewery.

Latest posts

Back