Tap vs Siphon

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tap or siphon

• tap

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • siphon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hey All,

In your experience what is better.
I have just built a keggle with the 2500w kettle element.
I will be BIABing in the keggle and then thinking of siphoning hot wort to no chill cube.
My thoughts are siphoning, I can change the hose and cleaning it good and proper. With a tap it is convenient, yes. But I can just imagine crap getting stuck in and around it. (from my reading.) Also a tap is another place for the keggle to leak.

Would love to hear your 2cents.

Cheers in advance guys.

Looking forward to my first AG brew! :D

I put up a poll but would be interested to hear rationale.

Tap. Install a weldless tap with some silicone washers, and you'll be glad you did. Cut the washers from a silicone bake tray.
Use a 3 piece ball valve tap, which can be dismantled for cleaning and then reassembled. Takes no time, and absolutely no crap caught in it. Have used one for the better part of a decade, and it still looks like new. Taps available from the site sponsors.
I siphoned before installing the tap, and found it to be a right royal pain in the derriere.

As the tap on the keggle would be hot side it’s not going to be a concern as it would cold side like a tap on a fermenter or no chill cube once it has cooled.

I can’t remember the last time I thoroughly cleaned my kettle tap, must be at least 6-7 years ago. I keep my kettle and tap reasonably clean.

I moved to BIAB a few months ago . I went with tap and glad I did .That wort flowing into the cube is hot as hell. tap def seems easier to handle

+1 on tap. So much easier to transfer and you can later add quick disconnects or even a pump to recirc your mash

I use a tap, or more specifically a 3 piece ball valve. Wouldn't even consider ******* around with siphoning hot wort. I'm planning on a small upgrade to it next year too, fitting an elbow pickup tube to it so I can more effectively whirlpool the wort after flameout. I currently don't whirlpool but I think this would be a good simple way to be able to leave more break material behind.

No brainer, tap.

Even the normal stainless ball valves can be easily dismantled and cleaned if you're worried. Add a lauter helix too and it will help filter out the solids like hops and proteins.

when i first started cubing i tried syphoning, trust me when i say it makes a carolina reaper seem like candy.

You "can" cobble one together from bits at Bunnings
But in the long run once you've bought a 3m roll of copper for a dip tube, a brass nipple/allthread, compression socket, some nuts, SS washers (that you can't get at bunnings) and silicone washers (also can't get at Bunnings) you're much better off buying a full stainless weldless ball valve & dip tube set from one of the site sponsors

when i first started cubing i tried syphoning, trust me when i say it makes a carolina reaper seem like candy.
am I weird that I thought carolina repaer must be some obscure sex act I had never heard of. so googled it and found it was a chilli

Tap. Install a weldless tap with some silicone washers, and you'll be glad you did. Cut the washers from a silicone bake tray.
Use a 3 piece ball valve tap, which can be dismantled for cleaning and then reassembled. Takes no time, and absolutely no crap caught in it. Have used one for the better part of a decade, and it still looks like new. Taps available from the site sponsors.
I siphoned before installing the tap, and found it to be a right royal pain in the derriere.

this the tap you suggest

https://www.craftbrewer.com.au/fermenter-tap-snap-tap

I have used the others , pita

:thumbsdown:

Latest posts

Back