Tap Repair Query

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wm460

Reaction score
I haven't brewed any thing for a couple of years, I thought I would flush out the lines with steriliser.
I found that a wasp or something had built a nest in the tap.
I tried undoing the the large nut, it unscrewed off the thread then stopped, gave it a couple of gentle taps, it didn't budge.
The small nut on the handle didn't do ant thing.
Can any one help.

Attachments

• DCP_1051.JPG
    DCP_1051.JPG
    430.3 KB · Views: 55
Its an Andale EK tap.
The big nut is the one that takes it apart. Undo it fully and the internals will pull straight up, if it hasn't been used for a couple of years odds on its full of dried up grease and might take a bit of pulling. If it wont budge, take the tap off the fridge and soak in hot water, usually loosens it up.

Once you get it out, if you take the little nut off. Put the point on a table (piece of wood or like or it will indent surface) and press the handle down. You will see a small brass washer, this slides off and lets you into the internals. Pretty strong spring in there, don't let go or its 52 card pickup time.
Clean thoroughly, lubricate with a food grade grease and reassemble.

If you need it, the service kit is still available, make sure you use a food grade lube (grease) most good home brew shops will have some, most will be able to order in the service kit to.
Mark

Thanks for your help Mark, very helpful.
I found a bush bee nest in the outlet, they make a mud nest then cover it with a sort of glaze that is extremely strong and water proof.
I had some food grade lube I had bought just before I stopped brewing, reassembled and tested, all good.

Cheers,
Mark.

Latest posts

Back