Tap Hole In Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pb unleaded

Reaction score
I drilled the hole in one of my kegs and put a tap/valve in it. Even though I positioned the hole as low as possible on the outside of the keg, there is still plenty of wort/beer left inside (4-5 litres) when draining or racking. It was annoying having to tilt the keg to get more beer out.

So on my other keg I drilled the hole underneath the keg. This was much better as I can adjust the volume of liquid I want to leave behind by placing a short piece of pipe in the valve (inside of keg). There is no need to tilt the keg.

I am just a little concerned about these valves leaching any metalic flavours.
One is a gas ball valve and the other is inline tap for air tools.

arthur

that can be fixed with a stainless steel extension tube on the inside, running down to the bottom..it will syphon out then, providing the outlet is below the inlet for the tube

arthur said:
I am just a little concerned about these valves leaching any metalic flavours.
One is a gas ball valve and the other is inline tap for air tools.

arthur
[post="71402"][/post]​

Hi arthur,
You can always boil the valves in some water let it cool then taste it to see if any taste has ben left behind.
I have a couple of valves similar to the one on the left. I tried the taste test and dint taste anything.

johnno

Arthur, Is it your boiler that has the tap at the bottom?
Obviously not or the plastic would melt. A bit of "dead-space" in your mash tun is not something you need to worry about. Just add a bit more sparge water.
cheers
Darren

Latest posts

Back