Tap And Fittings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge

Reaction score
Ok, ive read a heap of messages on various sites about people having problems with their taps, (on their hlt/boiler).

Where should i put mine, i was going to use 1/2" Brass thread (15cm long) attached to a s/s tap

Can i use brass? Do i need to weld the thread to the keg or can i place two nuts on either side and a washer.

Wedge :blink:

I mounted mine about 5cm from the bottom of the pot. Used a cheap irrigation tank fitting from bunnings. I didn't weld just used those fibre washers you get and a couple of nuts. Only improvement I want to make is some kind of removable strainer to put on it to help let me squeeze the most out of the pot without the hops.

If you use dissimilar metals you can get corrosion so SS would be best, however I think this really only comes into play when it is wet so given that your boiler will be empty 99% of the time it isn't going to be a huge issue.

2003_1215Image0003.JPG

Make sure if using a keg that you don't put your tap above the holes around the base. Get's mighty hot in these areas. You have probably already thought of this though. Sorry.

Try the washers and nuts, if it doesn't work you can always sort something else out. I like crackers method.

JD

cheers guys. I used pretty much all the same fittings, but use polybutelene rather than copper, but tap etc are the same. Will post pics when finished ;)

Wedge

continuing the copper theme...

i made up my chiller the other day and its a bit too short. i have an extra piece of copper i can use to run down to the bottom of the "spiral" but as that will need to be water tight, i will have to have it soldered. will that be ok at boiling temps? i just dont want the join to come undone at the worst possible time. im not a plumber so i dont know what temp reguar solder would be rated for. thanks
joe

Joe, time for you to come around to my place. Send me a PM and I can tell you where I am and a time. i have a propane torch and some lead/cadmium free low temp solder, don't worry boiling temp wont melt solder. I can fix it up for you. Go to Tradelink on Burnett St, North Hobart and get a 90 deg elbow to fit your pipe, I assume it is 1/2" pipe. Cost 95c. Or go to Mitre 10 get the same piece for probably 3X the price. Up to you, but if you want or need me to solder it for you I'm happy to.

Cheers Justin.

Latest posts

Back