Tap A Draft Keg System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilsaltarboy

Reaction score
Hi
Im looking to see if anyone has experiences with the Tap A Draft keg system. Being a uni student and supplying grog to my friends I need a viable way to take it to parties. The tap O draft system with the cooler thingy seems like a pretty good way to take grog to parties and also to fit in my fridge since cant afford to get into kegging just yet. Any comments?

Why don't you look at the cheap keg option on the ozcraftbrewer website and use a soda stream to power it. I've been looking into this lately as an alternative to carting around an 18L keg (minus the soda stream as I have a fire extinguisher). I've found suitable 5 and 8L spray packs that would be suitable and ideal for the project. Cost $20. Rated to 40psi. I plan on force carbonating them and using just like a normal keg.

The ones I have found have a pressure release valve on one side, a liquid out on the other (Both independent of the screw on lid and pump, they look just like a corny keg set up) and then the pump in the middle between the two. I'm going to take the pump out and seal the hole in the top then insert a stainless tubeless tyre valve into the top (or maybe I'll play about with a gas post out of the spares box). I'll just take my fire extinguisher to power it and replace all the line with proper beverage tubing and a picnic faucet. Should work a treat provided I can get a good seal.

Just a though anyway.

Cheers, Justin

I know it was one of the options I was looking at but my problem is that I dont have the time and would have to buy a regulator for the spray gun option. Time isnt something I have too much of at the moment, maybe sometime in the future ill make a spraygun one

What about naturally carbonating (ie. it's just a big bottle, prime with the right amount of sugar) and using one of those CO2 bike tyre inflater thingy's (technical term). Just use the bike tyre inflater to top up the gas when things get a little low. Essentially this is just a tap-a-draft setup anyway I think and would come in well under the price of one I would think?

Or if your going to consume it in one night, naturally carbonate the keg, then when you want to dispense keep a bike pump handy (the normal old bike pumps) and use that to keep the pressure in the keg. If you buy a good pump you can put a tremendous amount of pressure in there with it. Basically like the yanks party pumps. Of course as a long term thing the beer will stale with the air pumped into it, but for a one night party it would be fine (note the benefit of using a spray unit 5 or 8L in size. Being a uni student myself I suggest maybe you should consider the 500L spray tanks that fit onto tractors/motorbikes. You could hook it up to your car......;) ).

I use a bike pump to pressurize my kegs when I'm messing about, cleaning with hot caustic, testing for leaks etc. And it works great. Mine is a blackburn pump (~$40 so it wasn't a cheap one-I mountain bike so I didn't buy it for this purpose). I have no doubts this would sort you out.

Homebrewers are frugal lads (well sometimes my wallet doesn't suggest that) and I reckon you've got plenty of cheap options here to sort it out with. Plus building stuff is half the fun, and really how long would this take. I'm tipping 2 hours. Up to you.

JD

Hi devilsaltarboy

I have one of the tap-a-drafts and they are good for transporting beer to parties. The are expensive in Australia and I would consider getting the tap-a-draft head from the USA and the bottles from the australian supplier to cut costs.

The bottles are only good for 10 or 15 fills (haven't reached that number yet with mine, though one must be close) and then may have to be replaced, so don't forget that in your overall costs.

The handle on mine has broken which is a bugger and I have to contact the manufacturer to see if they have replacement ones. Also the pouring tube wears fairly quickly and it is worth ordering spare tubing if you get a unit (it is soft 7mm tubing which is a bugger to find).

Despite the hassles with it, I like the unit.

Pedro

Devilsatarboy

Firstly how much do the tap-a-draft systems cost? (You must pe posting as I type TDA)
I am thinking of 2 options.

1. Get 1 or a few 3Gal kegs (cost about A$65 from US or A$100 in Australia). They are stainless steel so will last for ever (nearly). They can be gassed using the small C02 bulbs and a dispenser like this one so no need for a reg. You could also rig up a soda stream bottle to gas.

2. Use 2L or 3L coke bottles and make a small dispensing device. This is a very cheap option and is very similar to the tap-a-draft system.

Hoops

Pedro said:
I have one of the tap-a-drafts and they are good for transporting beer to parties. The are expensive in Australia and I would consider getting the tap-a-draft head from the USA and the bottles from the australian supplier to cut costs.

The handle on mine has broken which is a bugger and I have to contact the manufacturer to see if they have replacement ones. Also the pouring tube wears fairly quickly and it is worth ordering spare tubing if you get a unit (it is soft 7mm tubing which is a bugger to find).
The system at my local HB store is $120 with one bottle and $120 for the cooler and $18 per bottle which I think is very reasonable. Im thinking I may go down this path so I can take things like my wit beers to parties (chicks love it). The tubing shouldnt be problem for me since I have good access to a wide range of tubing at uni and im sure they wouldnt miss 20cm.

The little 10L kegs suck anbd are way expensive

just get normal kegs, dab

Jovial Monk (aka face)

Why do you think the 10L kegs suck? Considering he is looking to use them for parties? Small, portable, robust??? I agree that they are very expensive though

has anyone here made there own home made portable keg? or if anyone is willing to make on, ill buy it. I would love another option rather then bottles, but i dont have the time or knowhow just yet to build something my self.

kman

Do you have a keg setup at the moment or only bottles?
If you are looking to save money I would use Coke bottles and make up a dispensing system like the link I posted below using a CO2 dispenser.
I would be willing to lend you a hand but am away with work for a couple of weeks.

Hoops

Back