Tanunda Show 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luka

Reaction score
The 2010 Tanunda Show Home Brew competition will be held at the Tanunda Show Hall on Saturday 13th March. Entries close end of business Monday the 1st. Entries may be dropped off to the following places:
  • Luke Willis, Rockford Wines, Krondorf Rd, Tanunda
    Beer Belly, Pooraka
    Brewmaker, Holden Hill
I have attached the entry form with labels and the 2010 style guidelines. This years guidelines have been tweaked to make them more in line with SABSOSA and we have included a new section, the ANZAC challenge (details below).

ANZAC Challenge rules
  • Beer may be either All Grain or extract there are seperate categories for each
    Beer must be brewed with either all Australian or New Zealand grains/extract and hops
    Yeast is at the brewers discretion. Brewers may use an Australian yeast if desired but may also use an appropriate yeast to the style being brewed, ie a lager yeast.
    All entries for the ANZAC challenge may also be entered into the regular categories but must be within the style guidelines for the particular class. For example, an Australian Pale Ale may be entered into section 3.1 AUS Pale Ale and the ANZAC challenge.
    Please indicate where appropriate on the entry form if a beer is to be entered into the ANZAC challenge
    Entries for the ANZAC challenge will be judged on their particular style guidelines where appropriate, but first and foremost on the balance, drinkablity and overall quality. The judges and organisers reserve the right to assess an entry within these guidelines.
    Please remember that this is the first year we are running this and we are still fine tuning it. If you have any queries or comments regarding how we judge the beers please direct them to myself at Luke Willis
    We encourage brewers to be imaginative and innovative with their brewing, if you want to brew a wattle seed wheat beer, then by all means. A vegemite stout, why the hell not!
I'm also putting the call out for help with judging and stewarding. We will be holding the judging at the Tanunda Hotel on Friday the 5th and Saturday the 6th. If anyone is interested in helping out please email me at the above address. If any BJCP accredited judges are available then we will register the event with the BJCP organisation, otherwise its not worth it.

Thank you all for you support and entries in previous years, we hope to make 2010 the biggest and best yet!

Cheers,
Luke

View attachment Tanunda_Show_Guidelines_2010.pdf

View attachment Tanunda_Show_2010_Entry_form.pdf

$3 per bottle - bargain!

I will struggle to attend due to sport commitments, but I shall certainly enter a few beers.

I like the ANZAC challenge too! Fingers crossed I have some home grown POR ready for the batch :)

Question - being aligned with SABSOSA, I presume there is a limit to the number of Styles that can be entered in each Category (i.e. 2 max styles per Category)?

Well done on organising this Luke.

Cheers!

$3 per bottle - bargain!

I will struggle to attend due to sport commitments, but I shall certainly enter a few beers.

I like the ANZAC challenge too! Fingers crossed I have some home grown POR ready for the batch :)

Question - being aligned with SABSOSA, I presume there is a limit to the number of Styles that can be entered in each Category (i.e. 2 max styles per Category)?

Well done on organising this Luke.

Cheers!

Thanks mate!.
At this stage we haven't put a limit on entries for each class, style wise or number wise. So if you want to enter a beer in to each of the Pale Ale class you can!

Cheers,

PS Nevermore rocks!

Hey Luka,
Thanks for the update on the show been wondering whats been happening. by the way who are the sponsors this year?

If any BJCP accredited judges are available then we will register the event with the BJCP organisation, otherwise its not worth it.

Cheers,
Luke

Yes it would be great to actually have a certified BJCP judge present. Having only be brewing for a few years and still learning it would be fantastic to have this comp as a recognised BJCP event. While I have no issues with any State Comps such as SABSOSA, to have a regional comp such as this with some experienced judges to guide us beginners would be of much benefit. This Tanunda event has grown remarkably over the years so much so that it actually has far more entries than the amateur wine section. Considering the Barossa is known around the globe for its wine!!

So how about it Jayse :D

BYB

Hey Luka,
Thanks for the update on the show been wondering whats been happening. by the way who are the sponsors this year?

Sponsors this year include: Beer Belly, Andale, Joe White Maltings, Tanunda Hotel, Barossa Brewing Company, Barossa Valley Brewing, Tanunda Cellars, Coopers and maybe another big Adelaide based brewery...

Well done Luka,
Very keen to enter a few beers, will have to get cracking on some ideas!
Really looking forward to it.
This will be my first comp and looking forward to meeting a few people.

Woody

Sponsors this year include: Beer Belly, Andale, Joe White Maltings, Tanunda Hotel, Barossa Brewing Company, Barossa Valley Brewing, Tanunda Cellars, Coopers and maybe another big Adelaide based brewery...

Congradulations to all the sponsors for supporting such a great comp.....

Guys, just a quick update. There will be a very BIG announcement with the prizes for the Best Of Show beers, Best Kit & Best mash. Watch this space, this prize is one of the best anywhere!!! one of the Big boys in the beer industry has offered us a very cool prize, details to follow next week. Get your entries in, it will be well worth it!!

:D

So, big announcement has been finalised as of Friday! The big boys have stepped up and showed their support for the home brewing community with an awesome prize now available. SA brewing have very generously offered the Tanunda Show Homebrew competition either (winners choice) a personalised tour with the brewers at the West End brewery on Port road, including a tasting session to see how the big guys do things OR (an I think this is the one most f you will be keen on) a day at the Knappstein brewery in the beautiful Clare Valley for a more "hands on" experience!

Regardless of your personal feelings toward the large brewers we are very lucky to get these prizes which we will offer to the Best Extract and Best Mash winners. All the more reason to enter and try to win one of these great prizes.

Cheers,
Luka

Good to hear, more reason for all brewers to pop in an entry or 10.

Well done to the sponsors, and also you for organising this prize Luka.

Last days to get your entries together for the show. Entries close end of business Monday March 1st, that's next week! Entries may be dropped off at Beerbelly Brewing Equipment (Pooraka) Brewmaker (Holden Hill) or to myself at Rockford Wines (Krondorf Rd, Tanunda). We will be judging at the Tanunda Hotel Friday/Saturday the 5th & 6th, all welcome, anyone who can help out with judging/stewarding is most welcome too!

Cheers and good luck to all who enter.

Luke

Today is the last day for entries for this years Tanunda Show! >get your entries in before you miss out on the chance to win some awesome prizes, the best ever!! Drop off points are Wayne at Beerbelly, Bill at Brewmaker, Holden Hill and myself c/- Rockford Wines, Tanunda.

Don't miss out!

Dropped my entries into Beerbelly on Friday night.

Good luck to all, and thanks again to the organisers and judges.

Hope to make it up there at some stage, sport permitting.

Latest posts

Back