Tamworth January 2018

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elz

Reaction score
Hi. Me and the missus are travelling to Tamworth for the County Music Festival nest week. Any one know if ANY of the pubs there have craft beer? Saw advertisements for XXXX (yikes) and the Post Office Hotel has James Squire beers. Is that the best there is or does anyone have any recommendations for any craft beer available in Tamworth? Will be happy with Stone and Wood if there is nothing else - being Barnaby (Kiwi) Joyce's electorate, I don't expect much though. Any advise is much appreciated :)
Cheers, Elz

Great! Thanks for the reply. Will check it out for sure. Cheers, Elz
PS Do they do a good parma, do you know?

No craft beer but if you want a nice really cold beer, and a great feed, slip out to the pub at Dungowan. We camped at the sports ground there for the music festival last year.

Great country pub and I think it's Barnaby's local. We ran into him and had a chat while having a feed last year.

When I lived there a while back the bowls club had New England Brewery on tap. They have a stall they travel with so I'm sure you'll see them somewhere around town during the festival.

There was a decent craft beer bar called The Welder's Dog in Armidale, and I believe they opened one in Tamworth after I left.

All my info is out of date though.

Mate head to the Welders Dog (Tamworth), the Pig has some decent beers sometimes- depending on tap rotation, and the Tamworth Hotel usually have some good ones on tap (Had a Mountain Goat Bigfoot RIS on tap not too long ago!).
I imagine the Welders will be chockers come festival time, and although expensive they usually offer a diverse selection- My 2c though I'd go the Tamworth as they have more room, beers are cheaper, the beer garden now has hop bines growing and there's a fairly serious looking smoker out there (never seen it fired up though as I only stop in after work occasionally, and head home to Newy every weekend).
Also if you're after an awesome burger, Williamsburg is just around the corner from Welders and they have a couple alright beers on tap also.

Thanks everyone for the updates. Wasn’t sure if the Welders Dog was even open but now I know. They’re all near eachother too and near where we’re staying so all good! (not sure if we make it to Dungowan but with forecast 40+ at the moment, any cold beer could be okay in the end...)

Thanks everyone for your advice and input. Bloody hot in Tamworth! However, after trying some of the other recommendations, managed to anchor myself at the Welders Dog; great bar and highly recommend. Anyone travelling to Tamworth drop in to the Welders Dog for a pint or two, they have a good selection of quality craft beers.
Thanks again
Elz

Back