Tamar Valley Beer Festival - Homebrewing Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got a call, in the final four! Heading up to Launceston for the weekend :)

Congrats. Guess I will see you there. There are a whole bunch of us meeting at 3 on Saturday at the crown tent.

Sounds like a plan. I'll have swmbo and kids in tow but will be looking forward to meeting a few of the fellas in person :)

No phone call here.....but time got away from me so I didn't get an entry in so I'm not entirely surprised. Anyone else?

I entered, no call though, can only assume I didnt pass muster. Best of luck to everyone who did though, I look forward to a pint or 2 of the winner.

Got a call, Made it into the final four.
Looking forward to a great weekend and meeting everyone. See you there.

Okay, seeing as there hasn't been any results posted about the "Battle of the Brew", I will give some feed back. I enjoyed the comp, and Michael Jackson was a good MC. It would have been good if they had a small PA to use as at times it was hard to here. It seems they were a bit disappointed with the amount of entries, however, with the short amount of time we were given to come up with an entry, I think they were lucky to get the amount that they did. I also thought that there was a distinct lack of communication about some of the finer details like "when entries close" ....
Overall, it was fun, and I think that the idea of having some of the finalists supply a few bottles for the other finalists to try after judging is a great idea.
On the negative side, the only down side I can think of is that beers arent judged by styles.
Maybe next year we will have to think inside the box a little.
Anyway, for those interested, here is the recipe for the Dark Lager that I entered.
Turned out a good drop

Dark Lager

Original Gravity (OG): 1.052 (°P): 12.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 5.11 %
Colour (SRM): 22.2 (EBC): 43.7
Bitterness (IBU): 22.7 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

72.49% Pale Ale Malt
17.66% Vienna
4.28% Crystal 30
2.79% Special Roast
2.79% Wheat Malt Midnight

0.8 g/L Northern Brewer (9.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

0.2 g/L PH 5.2 @ 5 Minutes (Mash)
0.2 g/L PH 5.2 @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.2 g/L Brewbrite @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Multi Step mash infusion -
54°C for ten minutes
62°C for 40 mins
69°C for 20 mins
Mash out at 76°C for 10 mins
Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 12°C with Saflager W-34/70 (Ferment was started at 18°C and dropped 2°C every 2 days until 12°C was reached)

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Cheers
LagerBomb

Brewed the winning beer today "Rabbit Trap Kolsch" With the winner Owen and his son, great day in great company.
The beer should be out in 3 to 4 weeks time, i will post again when pouring locations are confirmed.

Latest posts

Back