Tall skinny fermenters 40 + ltrs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsta

Reaction score
G'day all,
I am trying to maximise brew day & considering doing 2x 40ltr batches (2x different brews) on the one day, don't mind spending all day brewing if i can get 4 kegs at the end. Trouble is 2x 60ltr fermenters won't fit in my TC fridge.

I don't really want to buy another fridge that would accomodate them, i.e. double door commercial fridge, but if it is the only option i may have too.

Does anyone know of say a 50ltr fermenter that is similar diameter to a 30ltr fermenter? i can fit 2x 30's, or a 60 & a 30 no worries, but I just can't squeeze in 2x 60's.

Alternatively i have thought about spacing out my door to fit 2x 60's horizontally, has anyone done this with success?
Cheers!

thumb_20170105_145057_1024.jpg

Sit you're fermenters outside & enjoy a summer saison spelling

Sorry mate cheap shot

Maybe the olive SS vessels will suit
stainless :icon_drool2:

I'm interested in the process of extending the fridge out, if you end up going that way.

How about fermenting in long PVC (potable)water pipes?
You could cut them to length, seal with an end-cap. I wonder if they taste.

My ferm freezer fits a 60 and a 30 comfortably. Took a while to find an upright freezer with removable shelves, but it is much cheaper than a commercial double door fridge.
I havent tried, but it is likely with a shelf in the bottom that it could fit 2 60L... but i dont have that need, so i dont really care....

I will get you the model if you are interested

Liam_snorkel said:
what about 4 x 20L rectangular jerry cans with blow off tubes?
That is what I currently use for cubes, you can fit around 25L in them. I just fill to 21/22L then squeeze all air out, but yes you would need a blow off tube. My ones have the same lid type as a normal cube, so a blow tube would be easy to install.

Take a tape measure to Bunnings and check out the Willow "20L" jerries. I used to get three of them side by side in an old fridge. As Brad and Liam say they can hold up to 25L in reality.

willow 20.jpg

thanks guys.

looks like G&G do a 50ltr, still too wide for my fridge, i think i may be asking for the impossible, maybe it has something to do with design i.e. height / width / weight ratio?

The jerrys & cubes would be ok, but i think would have to reduce my volume, i don't know about you but since going AG i get a good 4 - 6 inches of krausen in my 30ltr fermenters. If i'm using a top fermenting yeast would this be then lost out the blow off tubes? i'd rather have a bigger head space and less fermenters to clean.

I think a 2 door commercial fridge is the way to go with 2x 60ltr fermenters, but in the interim i think i'll invest in a second fermenting fridge or look for one as N87 has mentioned.
Cheers!

The 'standard' Keg King / Craftbrewer kegmate will hold a single 60L with room to spare.

Stainless Olive oil drum (50 litre) = 55cm high x 36.5 dia (Winequip) from Yob's post here

My clip-on lidded 30 litre plastic fermentor is also 36.5 cm diameter.

Does that work for you?

This is mine:

IMAG0398.jpg
IMAG0399.jpg

Just one more warning, make sure the shelves are removable.

Thanks guys, i think N87's set up is what i need to do, cheap & effective.
Cheers!

Back