Taking the next step...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Punt

Reaction score
Hello, fellow homebrewers.
I've been brewing all-grain 20L batches for a couple of years now, and i have been thinking about taking the next step and starting my own small-scale brewery.
I am interested to hear if anyone else has made the transition from home-brewer to nano-brewer, and what the logical steps would be to be able to quit my day job and brew beer for a living.
Though it sounds like a dream-come-true, so many small-scale breweries are opening all over the country, so any advice or opinions anyone has on how to make this dream a reality would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
JW.

Hello, fellow homebrewers.
I've been brewing all-grain 20L batches for a couple of years now, and i have been thinking about taking the next step and starting my own small-scale brewery.
I am interested to hear if anyone else has made the transition from home-brewer to nano-brewer, and what the logical steps would be to be able to quit my day job and brew beer for a living.
Though it sounds like a dream-come-true, so many small-scale breweries are opening all over the country, so any advice or opinions anyone has on how to make this dream a reality would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
JW.

if my advice is worth a small piece of shit in a snowstorm.. work on solid distribution before you are neck deep, with one opening every other day, youre going to have a battle by the time you get all your licensing through even.. shelves are crammed and taps are no different, think about what will make you stand out..

that said there are many who came from there, fought the tough fight and are 'winning' but I rekon there there are shit loads more that have fought and didnt,

Brewing is the fun and easy side of a whole business that needs solid structure, marketing, distribution and an edge..

Not trying to dissuade you at all, merely trying to key a whole series of other thoughts about it.

Look at where Daintons came from.. funnier things have happened and live the dream mate, make it happen!

I read the other day that 2017's numbers in terms of new brewery's opening may not hit 2016's.

Last edited:
My two bobs worth. I think you need to know quite clearly what your going to brew first up, make these in your 20 litre or even 10 litre batches and have them sampled by as many independent people as possible for honest comment.
Without having to wait for comps, brew clubs could be a good source of sampling and places that sell craft beer.
Good luck if you go ahead, dreams are not to be ignored.

Cheers for the advice, Yob. Its funny that you mentioned Daintons. We are in Shepparton, literally up the road from where the Daintons came from.:D
if my advice is worth a small piece of shit in a snowstorm.. work on solid distribution before you are neck deep, with one opening every other day, youre going to have a battle by the time you get all your licensing through even.. shelves are crammed and taps are no different, think about what will make you stand out..

that said there are many who came from there, fought the tough fight and are 'winning' but I rekon there there are shit loads more that have fought and didnt,

Brewing is the fun and easy side of a whole business that needs solid structure, marketing, distribution and an edge..

Not trying to dissuade you at all, merely trying to key a whole series of other thoughts about it.

Look at where Daintons came from.. funnier things have happened and live the dream mate, make it happen!

A new brewing opening in Ballina in the next few weeks, I'm keen to get down and check it out and hear their story. They have a new building next to the airport (easy walking distance) which services Ballina and Byron so location location.. although could be some carnage come boarding time.

I think it's a key to have two things:
1. Good beer, and;
2.A ready market

Good beer is a work in progress, but i've got a couple of decent recipes sorted.;)
It would be awesome to hear from someone who makes beers to sell at markets and such. I reckon excise would be a killer, but i've seen people doing it so i guess it can be done.

Back