Taking on the big guns- Thunder Road vs CUB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I think to put an analogy and say if somebody walked up to Holden and said, 'you haven't made Monaro for a couple of years, we're going to take it from you', I think most people would think that's an unreasonable proposition," he said.

More like if someone walked up to Nissan and said "You haven't made a Datsun 120Y for a couple of years, we're going to take it from you". Nissan would think that it was an unwise proposition, and that the person making that claim would soon be out of business.

Every time I sit down to a new beer I always think to myself "Damn! That's one tasty Trademark!"

Unless they are going to replicate the beers using the exact recipes, similar ingredients and processes (which doesn't seem to be their intention), you are just going to be drinking reminiscence.

Yeah this doesnt exactly make me want to buy thunder road beer. Just makes them look like wankers

It's probably time Thunder Road gave up on this schtick.

Thunder road sounds like a bottle bomb brewery.

Please try to make sure your "Dad jokes" reflect commercial reality in future, Nick.

TR say they don't want the original recipes so what's the point. CUB at least have access to the original recipes when they release heritage brews. The ones I have tasted have been pretty good attempts.

For example I'm possibly the only forum member who actually drank Bulimba and when they rereleased it and Brisbane Bitter in 2011 it was a cracker, bearing in mind the changes in available ingredients over the decades. I did a side by side with the direct descendant of the original brew Carlton Draught and the CD was foul. So no they don't just re-can VB.

Some members bought the heritage brews and didn't think much of them. However if they travelled back to the 60s and fronted the bar they wouldn't have been all that impressed anyway as the styles obviously are not to their taste.

Point is that CUB do a reasonable stab at the recipes and it's not just a slick gimmick as opposed to TR.

The point is though that CUB doesn't bother to do them as they don't make any coin from them.
My old man would crawl over broken glass for abbots lager. I don't know why I never thought much of the stuff even when I was pinching them out of the fridge at 16. But if he could buy an abbots lager all the time he'd be happy and a smaller brewer could probably make a profit from the nostalgia. Provided what was in the bottles was most of the way to the original recipe, or even better. (more malt fresh hops etc)
Yep its slick marketing, its a win win for TR they get permission to use the brands they are hero's to generations of disillusioned CUB drinkers who've had their beer disappear or change, they don't and they are still the little guys taking on the big guys and those good aussie battlers deserve a shot so either way equals selling more beer.
Good luck to em.

personally I am more interested in breweries trying to make something new, not marketing companies trying to make (old and/or shit) beer....

Hey Bribie,
I have drank Bulimba beer at the old Bulimba Brewery.
It was about the best beer I have ever had but wouldn't give tuppence for it at any of their hotels,bloody awful.
Thunder Road should grow a brain.

I had a can of Brisbane Bitter after drinking one of my Saisons. It was worse than VB.

These old Aussie beers need to be buried. Deeply.

Thunder Road are looking for an assistant brewer, I like their honesty, though not sure about "anything and everything our head brewer requires" well.....

"The main responsibilities for this position include A LOT of cleaning, shovelling spent grain and generally maintaining the world class hygiene standards of our Brewhouse, cellars and yeast area daily. Setting up the tasting panel and cleaning down after. Complete keg washing and filling, scrubbing drains, and anything and everything else that our Head Brewer & Production Manager requires assistance with.
Brewhouse operations (milling, mashing, boiling, etc), cellar-related operations and some laboratory and QA analyses (cell counting, pitch rates, gravity checks etc) - packaging operations (keg cleaning and filling, carbonation, etc)."

http://www.thunderroadbrewing.com/job-board/

TR have their heads up their own asses on this one.

As much as i dislike CUB and everything they stand for, I don't think TR has any rights to any of them. Why would they want them either? Publicity stunts. pfffttt

Back