Taking homemade beer to NZ

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruer

Reaction score
So I'm heading over to New Zealand for Christmas with the in-laws. I want to take some of my beers over. Anyone had experience in taking it across the pond through customs? I was thinking of counterfilling them into old soda water bottles. I know the amount I can't take, just wondering if plain packaged homebrew is going to raise any eyebrows? Anyone had experience with this?

I've not taken any internationally, although they will have to be in checked luggage due to LAGS. Domestically I have never had an issue taking multiple bottles of homebrew onboard. I am sure it won't be an issue at all apart from having to be laying down in your suitcase.

It will be part of your beer allowance and won't be an issue just make sure you declare it as they will ping you if they find it

Alcoholic beverages
  • Up to six bottles (4.5 litres) of wine, champagne, port or sherry
  • Up to twelve cans (4.5 litres) of beer (Bottles is fine as well)
  • Three bottles (or other containers) each containing not more than 1125ml of spirits, liqueur, or other spirituous beverages

Yeah. I figured it would be fine. I'll report back on how it goes. We fly today, so the airport is going to be bedlam.

Update: no issues taking beer into NZ in plastic bottles. I might add my bags weren't checked over in detail. Just as the rest of New Zealand, the customs guys seem pretty chill

Back