Taking Homebrew On A Virgin Flight?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clutch

Brew your own beer, you'll save money.
Reaction score
I'm flying to Sydney soon to do a brewing course and I'm taking 4 - 5 500ml swingtops with me and checking them in, is there any issues with this?

I'm flying to Sydney soon to do a brewing course and I'm taking 4 - 5 500ml swingtops with me and checking them in, is there any issues with this?

No as long as you don't try and put them in a boogie board bag :lol:

Take them carry on, saves baggage handlers dropping it.

I do this from Melb to Syd all the time, Qantas and Virgin and haven't had an issue

Will the carbonation level be affected? Or is there a chance of the bottles exploding?

Will the carbonation level be affected? Or is there a chance of the bottles exploding?

Just take them carry on :) No risk of explosions in the cabin, doesn't get depressurised enough to worry

When my dad flew down from Cairns at Xmas time he brought his HB as carry on in a foam 6 pack cooler with lid. Told them what it was and had no problems at all.

Isn't the no liquids on carry-on rule still enforced? I haven't flown on Aus domestic recently, but it's certainly still the case in the US.
BTW; checked in luggage doesn't get depressurized either, otherwise deodorant cans and puppy dogs in pet carry baskets wouldn't arrive in one piece either.

Isn't the no liquids on carry-on rule still enforced? I haven't flown on Aus domestic recently, but it's certainly still the case in the US.

Nope not for domestic. Have been taking beer/wine as carry on for over 2 years now.

only problem i see if they want a taste :lol:...and your beer will be better than they serve in flight

Take all you want on there :)
Have checked in beer without hassle before, just bubblewrap and pad with ahem, clothes... Errrr man undies.
Also, phoney is correct, cargo bays are pressurised just the same as the passenger cabins. In fact, the temperature control in a cargo bay is way better than in the passenger cabin because there aren't any hosties ******* with the controls :)

Take all you want on there :)
Have checked in beer without hassle before, just bubblewrap and pad with ahem, clothes... Errrr man undies.
Also, phoney is correct, cargo bays are pressurised just the same as the passenger cabins. In fact, the temperature control in a cargo bay is way better than in the passenger cabin because there aren't any hosties ******* with the controls :)

The pressure is the same however the oxygen levels are lower. I've been all over this when taking a pet overseas. That's why sedation for (older, frail or not super scared/timid) animals is not always recommended as they are 'naturally semi sedated' with less oxygen than normal/or for the passengers.

Mind you, carting a croc, wild tiger or wifey in cargo over seas may well need extra sedation :)

And yes - pet flight was more expensive than me :blink:

The pressure is the same however the oxygen levels are lower.

I thought the pressure was lower and the oxygen the same - thought the cabin pressure was about 5000m.

EDIT: 2000m

The pressure is the same however the oxygen levels are lower. I've been all over this when taking a pet overseas. That's why sedation for (older, frail or not super scared/timid) animals is not always recommended as they are 'naturally semi sedated' with less oxygen than normal/or for the passengers.

Depends on aircraft. Our's have the first vents in the cargo bay that get the best airflow before any squished ducting fucks up the flow down the cabin....

would be better to take a virgin on a HB flight :p
:p

I thought the pressure was lower and the oxygen the same - thought the cabin pressure was about 5000m.

EDIT: 2000m

What the vet told me and also the airline help ph line.

Pressure would be the same, regardless of aircraft. It would be stupidly expensive to build airplanes with multiple pressurised zones at different pressures. You'd have to treat the partitions as pressure bulkheads, pointless. That is some seriously bad info there Nick.

Back