Taking Gravity Readings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
Hi all,

What's the best way to exract brew from FV to take readings....I use the tap and the fluid in the air lock sucks back in sometimes..........which makes me a little nervous. But opening the lid and sticking something in there to remove some wort would probably make even more nervous!!!

What you guys do?

Cheers

Hi all,

What's the best way to exract brew from FV to take readings....I use the tap and the fluid in the air lock sucks back in sometimes..........which makes me a little nervous. But opening the lid and sticking something in there to remove some wort would probably make even more nervous!!!

What you guys do?

Cheers

Use starsan in your airlock and don't care ;)

I also use a 2 piece airlock which means I can eaisly remove the top piece to break the airlock... but for samples I don't bother.

Use glad wrap. This is just another issue to worry about regarding airlocks.

I certainly wouldn't be removing the lid and taking a sample from the top that's for sure.

I pry open the lid a little with my bucket style fermenters, or take the airlock out on my Coopers style ones. There is a large layer of co2 on top of the beer so letting a little air in wont do harm, co2 is heavier. I use starsan in the airlock also, but I still don't want 2 week old starsan in my beer. Also, you don't need to fill the airlock up to those lines that some of them have, enough water to form a seal is good enough, and if using just water, which obviously doesn't foam, then you'll get away with doing as you do now.

I ferment in jerry cans with the lid unscrewed a little, I'm able to take a sample from the tap no worries. When I had drum fermenters I used to remove the airlock before taking a sample.

Definite +1 for using glad wrap

Havent looked back since switching over soon after I started brewing.

Sponge

From the tap - also using gladwrap as the lid.

I wait a good 5-7 days before taking a sample from my tap so if any air does get in there is a good chance that the alcohol will kill the bugs. But I've only done 5 brews so still learning via the help of the experts here.

Edit: damn iPhone autocorrect

Get the kitten in the airlock to hang down into fermenter and lick a sample up for you.

Or just use glad wrap as a lid

even when the beer is fermented you will get infections. As said just take out the airlock or turn to glad wrap, you will never go back. I would loosen the lid so that its not air tight take sample do it back up or take the airlock out but that may suck water in as well?? I dunno only done 2 brews with a airlock

I just drain from the tap. Never had airlock suck in. I'm guessing you have a more airtight fermenter than me. Gladwrap lid will allow blowoff if pressure builds. Similarily you could use a blow off style airlock system. Much more depressurization needed to suck fluid all the way up the blow off tube.

The 2 piece airlocks sold as senior air locks are alot better than the S style supplied with fermenters , since changing i have had no probs taking samples also +1 to using starsan in the airlock.

I only put enough water in my airlock to form a seal it has never sucked back since I started doing that.

My first brew I put a lot more water in and moved my fermenter and sucked most of the water in. I did find out how much water to put in my airlock as a result. Used boiled water so I was not worried. Maybe diluted the beer a bit <_<

I don't worry about it. Beer is far more forgiving than some people lead you to believe. Then again I am new and have never had an infection yet. It may happen, but good sanitation and working carefully should avoid it.

BTW your fermenter is not sterile is has a cronic infection of yeast. Hopefully that will outcompete any other infections.

I drain a bit out of the tap into my hydrometer plastic tube until the water level is just about to bubble in reverse. I wait a bit till it starts bubbling again, take out a little more from the tap and repeat until I have enough wort to float the hydrometer.

Get the kitten in the airlock to hang down into fermenter and lick a sample up for you.

Or just use glad wrap as a lid

dam now i no why my kittens kept meowing, i had them in the airlock upside down FFS :(

glad wrap is so much easier....

What about if you have one of the new Coopers fermenters.
OMG no airlock!
How could they possibly work then?

I ferment in jerry cans with the lid unscrewed a little, I'm able to take a sample from the tap no worries. When I had drum fermenters I used to remove the airlock before taking a sample.

This or glad wrap works for me.

Back