Takes Me 5-6 Hours To Ag Brew A Batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
the more gear I get the more it takes to set up or is it I am so dis organised . how long does it take you , any quick sets up ideas

Pumpy

Let's see.

I usually start an AG brew about 7am. Usually totally finished and cleaned up by 1pm or so. That's 6 hours. Single infusion, 60-90 min. mashing time.

Pretty hard to think of any way of shortening the whole process. The price you pay for great beer I guess. :)

Warren -

Yes I try brew and not be bothered about how long it is going to take so I dont end up trying to meet a deadline .

Pumpy

I stick to two rules when I brew:

1. Get the recipe, targets and all the equipment ready the night before
2. Start early and wait for nobody.

I like to be having lunch during the chill, so this usually means doughing in by 7am. I have an electric HLT with a thermostat which I get going last thing the night before, so my mash water is ready to go first thing.

I find if I leave it any later to start, the lunchtime beers take a heavy toll on my attention to detail, and it's bloody miserable cleaning up boilovers and spills in the evening when you're half cut and just want to relax... especially if the 'assistant' you waited for went home wankered before you started cleaning...

:angry:

My best tip though is to get a couple of plastic crates, and fill one with hot water and the other one with iodophor solution on brewday - this gives you a central point where everything lives - thermometers, hydrometers, spoons, bottlers etc - so there's no hunting for stuff and finding it sitting in a puddle of congealed wort when you need it.

:super:

Wortgames said:
My best tip though is to get a couple of plastic crates, and fill one with hot water and the other one with iodophor solution on brewday - this gives you a central point where everything lives - thermometers, hydrometers, spoons, bottlers etc - so there's no hunting for stuff and finding it sitting in a puddle of congealed wort when you need it.

You don't have kids do you ? :lol:

I'm the same. HLT on timer to come on at 4:30am so at 6am it is all go for dough in.
Grains are cracked a day or two in advance, and all kit checked out and ready for action. Fermenters in solution in the laundry tub, CFWC soaking in solution with all tubing for post boil the night before.
With a 6am start usually all cleaned up and relaxing by 1pm.

Beers,
Doc

I can get a brew down in a couple hours less than it ussually takes me but iam happy to stretch it out. Iam not in a hurry when i brew.
I don't ussually start till much later than you guys though, ussually 1pm til 6pm.
I don't ever clean up after a brew exept rinse out the CFC, the rest stays till morning...or the next day...or the next day.

Jayse

jayse said:
I don't ever clean up after a brew exept rinse out the CFC, the rest stays till morning...or the next day...or the next day.

Jayse
[post="58084"][/post]​
I brewed a Wit last weekend. Yesterday before I went to JGiffins for his brew day I walked past my brewery and it smelled like VOMIT!
Woops, forgot to empty the mash tun on brewday, it had been sitting there a full week!

spew.gif

Pumpy

I can get a brew through in 4 hours without too much hassle. It is a matter of having everything on hand before you start. Crack the grain while the liquor is heating, start cleaning mash tun as soon as the sparge is finished etc

Pedro

Hoops said:
it had been sitting there a full week!
[post="58088"][/post]​

Thats were S/S rocks, i have grown some very nasty things in my mashtun and kettle and they scrub up like new. My guts is a tough as nails so cleaning out a big mess.... i just do it.
The aluminum kettle though needs to be cleaned out straight away or it pits quite quickly.
I have left grain in the tun and troooooob :excl: in the kettle for longer than i would like to admit to, in the end it scubs up like new.
I don't have a microscope but believe me you don't need no microscope to see whats growing in a mash tun after a week or two. :eek:

Jayse

Six hours!! I'm still hand grinding grain with a porchet - corona mill :blink:

If I crack the grain the night before, and set the timer on the birko urn hlt ready for mash in, I can do it in 4 hours on the day.

At least theoretically I can, never yet managed to crack the grain and set the timer the night before :eek:

wee stu said:
and set the timer on the birko urn hlt ready for mash in,
[post="58101"][/post]​

If you use a 'nasa' burner aka turkey fry the arse off machine you can have your water at temp just as quick as it takes you to set a timer :lol:

Jayse

Always set up the night before.

1. Put false bottom in mash tun. This involves doing up a compression fitting and splicing a length of 10mm racking hose around the circumference of the false bottom to stop husks and crap slipping under the net.

2. Fill HLT up with strike water. I usually then bring it up to boiling the day before to boil of any trace chlorine. Turn it off. Set the timer for about 5am the next morn, with insulation this keeps the water fairly warm and creates the need for less time/heat the next morning.

I've also got a capiliary thermostat that I can use with a range from 30-110c. Basically makes the HLT a 50L Urn. It's good to wake up, walk down the garge at 7am and have your strike water exactly right.

Warren -

Thanks Guys .

Plan ahead the night before & get off to an early start amongst all the other great ideas plus the centralised sterilising container.

Pumpy

Great minds think alike Pumpy. :blink:

I've always got a spare plastic fermenter sitting there with 10-15 litres of water and idophor just to drop things into. Always handy if not just plain necessary.

Warren -

Back