Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Sydney Water - Ceramic Water Filters

Discussion in 'Water' started by kings79, 16/1/20.

1. kings79

Posted 16/1/20
    Hi I'm new here and wanted to ask a water question. If I use a Ceramic water filter which is predominantly for filtering out Fluoride but also filters out the following;
    The pore structure of the ceramic material enables sufficient contact time with the AquaMetix® core to improve taste and odour as well as reducing fluoride, chlorine, chloramine, volatile organic compounds, MTBE, lead, mercury, asbestos, arsenic, and pharmaceutical compounds.

Contaminant Reduction Rates

Pathogenic bacteria >99.9999% Cholera, Typhoid, Salmonella, Coli, Fecal Coliform (ALcontrol Laboratories)

Parasitic Cysts = 100% Cryptosporidium Parvum, Giardia Lamblia (ALcontrol Laboratories)

Sediment = 100% to 0.5 micron absolute (IBR Laboratories)

Chloramines >99% ANSI/NSF Standard 42 (Pace Analytical)

Chlorine >99% ANSI/NSF Standard 42 (Pace Analytical)

Fluoride >97% All types—Fluorosilicic acid/hydrofluorosilicate, sodium fluorosilicate, and sodium fluoride (Envirotek)

Lead >99% ANSI/NSF Standard 53 (Envirotek)

VOC’s >98% ANSI/NSF Standard 53 (Envirotek)

THM’s >98% Reduction (Envirotek)

Metals >98% Aluminium, Iron, Mercury, Nickel & Zinc (ANSI/NSF)

Standard 53 (Envirotek)

Glyphosate >99.9% (Envirotek)

Pharmaceutical Compounds >95% ANSI/NSF Standard 401 (Envirotek) Acetaminophen, Progesterone, Ibuprofen, Naproxen Sodium

Herbicides >99%

Nitrates >92%

So if I use this to make an IPA for example where I want the salts in the water profile is this filter going to filter out these too?

Water is from Erskinville Sydney.

2. Coalminer

Retired
    Posted 18/1/20
    Filter your water first then add the necessary salts

3. MHB

Posted 18/1/20
    AquaMetix is just a Carbon filter block surrounded by a porous ceramic particulate filter.
    If you look up what a carbon filter does you should get a better idea how it will affect your water, it wont be taking out Calcium Salts which are the main group we want to add. Assume you get pretty much all of what is in your local water of these through the filter. You will need to study up what's in your water then add what you need.

A brewer using a filter would be mainly looking to get rid of Chlorine (in any form) as it will form some nasty flavours in the beer. There are several threads on what's in various local water, visit Sydney Waters website... then have a play around with one of the water apps Bru'n Water is well regarded, but Google Brewing Water Calculator and you will find heaps.

Or get lazy and just add 100ppm of Calcium in the form of Chloride or Sulphate or better a blend of the two. Remember Chloride has a mellowing effect and Sulphate tends to make the hops harsher and more prominent, Sulphate is favored in IPA's Chloride in softer flavoured beers.
    Mark

eastgummy, razz and akx like this.
  4. kings79

Posted 20/1/20
    Thanks MHB, yeah I have the water report for Sydney and have added it to my profile in Beerfather. So I have the water pretty dialed in.
    1. Is Sydney water particularly chlorinated?
    2. Does my filter filter out Chlorine?

5. MHB

Posted 20/1/20
    Yes As per your OP
    upload_2020-1-20_17-49-15.png
    Remember that they don't last forever, the Carbon eventually saturates with Chlorine, generally around the time the ceramic blocks up...
    Mark

Attached Files:

6. kings79

Posted 20/1/20
    So that means it pretty much gets rid of it all?

Cheers MHB

7. MHB

Posted 20/1/20
    More than (>) 99%, close enough to all for government work.
    Just remember that they aren't a very big filter so have limited capacity, probably say how long/much water they can process on the packaging, then they get saturated.
    After that no the don't work any more.
    Mark

8. kings79

Posted 20/1/20
    Roger that.

Very helpful. Thank you MHB

Draft saved Draft deleted