Sydney Trip - Which Breweries?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister Wilson

Reaction score
I'm headed up to Sydney for a conference in a couple of weeks and am trying to figure out which breweries/brewpubs I NEED to get to.

I'll be locking in Murray's new place in Manly but other than that have nothing planned.

I'll be staying in the CBD and will be without a car but willing to travel (just not too far). Got 3 nights so hopefully I can get a few in.

So which places are must do and which ones should I steer clear of?

Cheers

Mr W

I'm headed up to Sydney for a conference in a couple of weeks and am trying to figure out which breweries/brewpubs I NEED to get to.

I'll be locking in Murray's new place in Manly but other than that have nothing planned.

I'll be staying in the CBD and will be without a car but willing to travel (just not too far). Got 3 nights so hopefully I can get a few in.

So which places are must do and which ones should I steer clear of?

Cheers

Mr W

Schwartz Brewery (@ Macquarie Hotel) do a nice Summer Time Ale that is quite cheap during happy hour (can't recall times)
http://www.schwartzbrewery.com/

spent the last weekend there and ended up spending most of my waking hours at the lord nelson.
also visited the lowenbrau (for the litre stenis & pork knuckle) & belgian beer cafe for the novelty.

Harts Pub also has a great range of novelty beers on tap.

Lord Nelson
Taphouse
Harts (although personally I think the beer menu (other than the Rocks beers) has dropped off the last few times there....??)

If you're going to Manly, you should probably drop by 4 Pines, seeing as just across the road from the ferry terminal. They do some tasty beers...

The Lord Nelson is an institution and on the must-do list. Don't go there at lunch time, but from either 2pm or 3pm they prepare ploughman's lunches over the bar that will send the blood rushing to your head. You won't want to leave. This is in the Rocks area, next to the centre of the city.

There's Harts Pub up the hill serving Rocks Brewing Company beers, also in The Rocks area, and you can stop in at the Australian (Heritage) Hotel on the way which is sadly overlooked all to often! They don't brew, but they only stock Aussie beer and they have a huge range.

Azrebb's right, - if you're going to Murrays drop in at 4 Pines for a Kolsch or two. Lovely.

The Macquarie Hotel/Schwartz is in the middle of the city - and to be honest last time I went there the beers I had were VFO. That was about 4-5 months ago and might have been a bad day. If anyone else has more up to date information I'd go with that. (I should really check it out again since I work just down the road...)

And you can't forget Red Oak. People here get a bit pissy about Red Oak for some reason - but I've never had a bad beer out of the taps at the venue. It's right in the centre of the city. I've had shit beer from the bottle though.

Then there's the King St Brewpub - (the old James Squires).
Nice location for a beer, even if there's no JS these days.

Schwarz Brewery is craft beer at megaswill prices. Worth a visit.

Don't forget the pumphouse if you are over near the entertainment centre

Thanks guys.

Had a look and I'm staying across the road from Schwartz Brewery so I know where my first stop will be.

Looks like I'll be able to hit quite a few places ... happy days.

Cheers

Mr W

have a look at this years pub crawl thread as it has a good map with most of the breweries in the city.

Let us know when you're there Mrwilson.
May be able to join you for a liquid lunch @ Schwartz or Pumphouse.

In Sydney for a couple of days and have visited the Taphouse and Redoak. Great range of beer and good food at the Taphouse. Good range of (Redoak) beer and great food at Redoak. YMMV.

sap.

I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and have a few at the Mac for some Schwartz brews on Friday arvo. If anyone's around I'll come and have a few from 3:30?

PM me if you need a mobile or anything!

I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and have a few at the Mac for some Schwartz brews on Friday arvo. If anyone's around I'll come and have a few from 3:30?

PM me if you need a mobile or anything!
Damn. :( RDO. :)

RDO?! What more reason do you need to have beers at a brewery on a Friday arvo??

Ive got an RDO this friday too!

I would love to come for a couple, but given that I generally sleep in...and then go out for a late breakfast on my days off, i'd say i'll still be brewing around that time on friday arvo :lol:

Life sure is tough sometimes.

Back