Sydney: Stanhope Gardens Area. Beer Spots!?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vortex

Reaction score
Folks,

I'm over in Sydney for 5 days next week with a few of the boys for the World Time Attack at Eastern Creek. We're booked into a caravan park in Stanhope Gardens - (yeah near the parklea jail..) and I need to know where around there has good beer. Even if it's a place which can sell growlers..

Last year I stayed at the same place, there is a shopping center in sort of walking distance has a Liquorland, which as everyone here would know sell only the worst of the megaswill shit. Ended up with a carton of Corona. I don't want this to happen again this year! Ended up at the Mean Fiddler one of the nights which we heard afterwards has a bit of a mean reputation! Was OK when we were there, though!

Even if I have to take a taxi to somewhere fairly close and fork out $30 for the drive, I don't mind - my rep as a beer geek is on the line :)

Where do I go to get a decent beer around there?

Its been over a decade since Ive been out in that neck in the woods, but what i know of that area is its a bit of a cultural wasteland so far as good things to drink or eat are concerned. Your best bet would be to locate the nearest Dans or 1st Choice, stocking up and then retreat back to the saftey of your caravan. :)

Or you could go to Rooty Hill RSL, it was once known as Vegas of the West! (until they got taken to court and ordered to stop calling themselves that :lol:

Yep there's a Dan's in taxi distance - might be the go. Anything else around there? Bearing in mind we need to work on race cars during the day, Dans will probably be good enough!

The Australian Hotel & Brewery is just down the road. Just a bit further than the Mean Fiddler.

There is plenty around there. Granted most will have 10 taps of mega, but you'd be surprised.

The Australian brewery is at annangrove, not far in a cab:
http://www.australianhotelandbrewery.com.au/brewery.htm

The mean fiddler is great for a feed, guiness, killkenny, fat yak on tap

The hillside tavern, a little further in a cab, owned by the collisimo family who own the Australian brewery and they have most of their beers on tap

Etamogah pub is close but mostly mega swill, but there is a Dan Murphy's right next door.

I live walking distance from the Ettamogah and would suggest to steer clear, but Dan Murphys next door is always a bonus if you get sick of the place!

I actually went to the brewery last weekend for the first time (Have a newborn and haven't been out much lately) and found their beers to be just average... Each to their own of course but had a feed as well which was fantastic. Grab a sampling pack for $20 and you get a schooner of whatever you like at the end of it.

Its well worth going down there just to have a look at their setup. Plenty of bling to drool over!!!

Back