Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Sydney (Potts Hill) Water - Additives for a hoppy beer

Discussion in 'General Brewing Techniques' started by Fleabag, 23/11/18.

1. Fleabag

Posted 23/11/18
    Hi all.

Brewing what will hopefully be a hoppy IIPA tomorrow, and I’m after some advice on what people add to the water.

Usually I put 3tsp of gypsum in the mash for a batch that finishes up at about 23L, but I’m wondering if that is sufficient, or if there’s anything else I should be adding.

Cheers!

2. bbqzookeeper

Posted 23/11/18
    Have you used Bru'N Water Spreadsheet?

Read and have a go at that. Maybe someone will be able to provide a profile as your target?

Fleabag likes this.
  3. hairydog

electrical/instrument trades
    Posted 23/11/18
    I usually do 8g of gypsum which is about 1 tsp and 3g calcium chloride I think it is with 3 g magnesium,i use EZ water calc and live in southern
    suburbs of Sydney.

Fleabag likes this.
  4. ABG

Posted 23/11/18
    @Fleabag I'm also on the Potts Hill supply. For a hoppy beer (23L), I will use 6g of gypsum (3 in the mash water, 3 in the sparge water) and 6g of calcium chloride (ditto). That gives me a nicely balanced beer where I can appreciate the flavours of the hops and the malt.

I also brew for a couple of mates, one of whom is a hop head. For him I throw in the 6g of gypsum, but only 1g of calcium chloride. The other mate I brew for is at the opposite end of the spectrum. He likes a malt forward beer. For him I use 3g of gypsum and 6g of calcium chloride. Personally I don't see the point in this approach in a hoppy beer, because it masks the flavour of all the hops you put in. I reckon he's better off going with a more balanced profile and using less hops, but he's the one drinking it and loves it that way.

3 tsp would give you about 15g of gypsum (depending on the size of your teaspoon and how heaped it is) which would end up being too bitter I reckon. Your best bet is to get some accurate scales and measure by weight.

Fleabag likes this.
  5. Fleabag

Posted 23/11/18
    Great feedback guys. I’ll tone it back and add some calcium chloride too. (Edit: I won’t be adding CaCl because LHBS is out.)

Thanks!

Last edited: 23/11/18
  6. EalingDrop

Posted 23/11/18
    5g looks like this if you don't have those scales. (That's Gypsum btw) 20181121_222322.jpeg

Fleabag and ABG like this.
  7. ABG

Posted 23/11/18
  8. Fleabag

Posted 23/11/18
    What are you doing at about 8am tomorrow?

9. EalingDrop

Posted 23/11/18
    Bottling my BlackBerry Berliner Weisse like a trappist monk coz I haven't got any spare kegs

Fleabag likes this.