Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Sydney (Potts Hill) Water - Additives for a hoppy beer

Discussion in 'General Brewing Techniques' started by Fleabag, 23/11/18.

1. Fleabag

Posted 23/11/18
    Hi all.

Brewing what will hopefully be a hoppy IIPA tomorrow, and I’m after some advice on what people add to the water.

Usually I put 3tsp of gypsum in the mash for a batch that finishes up at about 23L, but I’m wondering if that is sufficient, or if there’s anything else I should be adding.

Cheers!

2. bbqzookeeper

Posted 23/11/18
    Have you used Bru'N Water Spreadsheet?

Read and have a go at that. Maybe someone will be able to provide a profile as your target?

Fleabag likes this.
  3. hairydog

electrical/instrument trades
    Posted 23/11/18
    I usually do 8g of gypsum which is about 1 tsp and 3g calcium chloride I think it is with 3 g magnesium,i use EZ water calc and live in southern
    suburbs of Sydney.

Fleabag likes this.
  4. ABG

Posted 23/11/18
    @Fleabag I'm also on the Potts Hill supply. For a hoppy beer (23L), I will use 6g of gypsum (3 in the mash water, 3 in the sparge water) and 6g of calcium chloride (ditto). That gives me a nicely balanced beer where I can appreciate the flavours of the hops and the malt.

I also brew for a couple of mates, one of whom is a hop head. For him I throw in the 6g of gypsum, but only 1g of calcium chloride. The other mate I brew for is at the opposite end of the spectrum. He likes a malt forward beer. For him I use 3g of gypsum and 6g of calcium chloride. Personally I don't see the point in this approach in a hoppy beer, because it masks the flavour of all the hops you put in. I reckon he's better off going with a more balanced profile and using less hops, but he's the one drinking it and loves it that way.

3 tsp would give you about 15g of gypsum (depending on the size of your teaspoon and how heaped it is) which would end up being too bitter I reckon. Your best bet is to get some accurate scales and measure by weight.

Fleabag likes this.
  5. Fleabag

Posted 23/11/18
    Great feedback guys. I’ll tone it back and add some calcium chloride too. (Edit: I won’t be adding CaCl because LHBS is out.)

Thanks!

Last edited: 23/11/18
  6. EalingDrop

Posted 23/11/18
    5g looks like this if you don't have those scales. (That's Gypsum btw) 20181121_222322.jpeg

Fleabag and ABG like this.
  7. ABG

Posted 23/11/18
  8. Fleabag

Posted 23/11/18
    What are you doing at about 8am tomorrow?

9. EalingDrop

Posted 23/11/18
    Bottling my BlackBerry Berliner Weisse like a trappist monk coz I haven't got any spare kegs

Fleabag likes this.