Sydney-Orange trip, where to stop for a drop?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteru

Here, taste this!
Reaction score
Wife is planning a Sydney-Orange-Sydney trip over the next week or so. I'd like to visit a few interesting breweries on the way.

The plan is to take our time from Sydney to Orange, then spend a few days in Orange and again take the whole day to get back to Sydney. Two kids under 8 with us.

Any tips for where to visit? Mainly interested in sampling good beer, being able to geek out with the brewer would be a bonus.

Badlands Brewery in Orange was good when we went through last year. Weren't able to talk with the brewer though. The venue is a bit of a collaboration between the brewery, a cafe and a produce store which seem to be different businesses effectively run under the one roof. They serve the beer through the cafe and sell takeaways in the produce store section.

I visited Badlands before they started brewing on-site (back then it was basically a "Totally Local" permanent stall in a big empty building) and chatted to the brewer. Back then, their brews were done under contract and were good. A while later I tasted some of their beer once they started brewing on site and it was fairly evident that they had temperature control issues and possibly other "teething" problems. It may be interesting to drop in again and see how things are going now that they have been operating out of their own facility for a few years.

I'm also eyeing off Two Heads Brewing in Bathurst (suggested by Fish River Valley brewer) as a possible stop. I'm unsure about Zig Zag in Lithgow - seems more of a tourist attraction rather than a beer destination.

Opinions and further suggestions are welcome. If I have to suffer a farm stay, I might as well enjoy some beer as compensation. :noworries:

the bee keepers in just outside orange is good feed haven't had their beers in a while. the boreanor (sp) brewery does pretty well.
other than that you have leura cellars which have a good beer selection.

I could throw a rock and almost hit the Badlands building from where I live! Their beer isn't bad, but I agree with the contract beers being better than their own brews. Haven't had it in a while to test again though. I think it's pretty hard to catch the brewer there too. Give Two Heads a visit and the Bee Keepers Inn about half way between Bathurst and Orange has a few different beers to try. Theres also a cafe and other stuff the wife and kids could amuse themselves with.

I'm not sure what Borenore Brew House is up to lately. I believe they are moving into Orange and setting up the brewery in the Lord Anson pub. Last time I was there, all the stainless was being set up so if he hasn't moved in yet, he wouldn't be far off. They sell his beer at the Lord Anson and also the Union Bank Wine Bar. If you like cider, I'd recommend Small Acres Cyder for a visit. They have several great offerings and the husband and wife who run it are a wealth of knowledge.

Back