Sydney Floor Malted Barley EOI

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Everyone
I've been spending a bit of time in the malthouse in the last few weeks with a couple of different welders. Unfortunately both these guys have been really busy and are only available on weekends at the moment. We are also having a minor annoyance with insurance and hot work permits but I can work around that.
The kiln is taking shape nicely now and is really starting to look like something finally.
I have what I consider to be a very large gas burner (35kW) but what I am told is actually quite tiny in the scheme of things.
I have a pressure blower that will be used to dry the green malt and recirculate the hot air during the final kilning stage.
I have ducting sitting all lonely in a box.
Everything is basically ready to go, just need the time to get in and get it all put together.
Designing and building something like this has been one of the biggest challenges I've come up against in a long time and I grossly underestimated the time it was going to take.
I am still marching on, just a wee bit slower than I had always imagined.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to pull out (no bishop / actress jokes), as we're headign South to Melbourne in 3 weeks or so, so updated list would be:

barls 1 bag
mb squared 1 bag
Nick R 5 bags
ducatiboy stu 4 bags
Mattfos01 1 bag
Fat ******* 1 bag.
Dunkelbrau 1 bag
Roastin 1 bag
Stuster 1 bag
tgiacomelli 1 bag
tonymc 1 bag
Josh 2 bags
redb 1 bag
Aussiebrewer 2 bags
5150 2 Bags
zwitter 1 bag
Yeastfridge 1 bag
Phonos 1 bag
gap 1 bag
skwaler 1 bag
black_labb 1 bag
MCHammo 1 bag
Codehopper 1 bag
Mikeyr 1 bag
NewtownClown 1 bag
Mattwa 1 bag
PeteQ 1 bag
Lex 1 bag
Hotmelt 1 bag

running total 39

Its alright mate I will take the burden and pick up the extra bag

barls 1 bag
mb squared 1 bag
Nick R 5 bags
ducatiboy stu 4 bags
Mattfos01 1 bag
Fat ******* 1 bag.
Dunkelbrau 1 bag
Roastin 1 bag
Stuster 1 bag
tgiacomelli 1 bag
tonymc 1 bag
Josh 2 bags
redb 1 bag
Aussiebrewer 3 bags
5150 2 Bags
zwitter 1 bag
Yeastfridge 1 bag
Phonos 1 bag
gap 1 bag
skwaler 1 bag
black_labb 1 bag
MCHammo 1 bag
Codehopper 1 bag
Mikeyr 1 bag
NewtownClown 1 bag
Mattwa 1 bag
PeteQ 1 bag
Lex 1 bag
Hotmelt 1 bag

running total 40

Hey guys, haven't posted in here for a while.
I have had a less than desirable start to the year so far, personally and financially.
Not the least of my problems being a nightmare tenant in my rental property who just decided to stop paying rent but still live there.
That kinda dented my finances as well as occupying a lot of time outside of working hours so things kinda slowed as a result.
The lesson there, if you're going to rent privately do more homework than I did.
However, I'm getting back on track now and things are progressing again.
I still think that it will be a month or so before things are looking like being ready.

Once again I must apologise for the delay. I seriously can't wait to have this thing up and running!
I appreciate the patience that everyone has shown thus far.

There was an update from Yob in the Vic thread and by the time the malt is ready I may have a mill. But looks like all the spots are taken. Is it bad form to create a reserve list in case people drop off?

aussie brewer said:
Its alright mate I will take the burden and pick up the extra bag

barls 1 bag
mb squared 1 bag
Nick R 5 bags
ducatiboy stu 4 bags
Mattfos01 1 bag
Fat ******* 1 bag.
Dunkelbrau 1 bag
Roastin 1 bag
Stuster 1 bag
tgiacomelli 1 bag
tonymc 1 bag
Josh 2 bags
redb 1 bag
Aussiebrewer 3 bags
5150 2 Bags
zwitter 1 bag
Yeastfridge 1 bag
Phonos 1 bag
gap 1 bag
skwaler 1 bag
black_labb 1 bag
MCHammo 1 bag
Codehopper 1 bag
Mikeyr 1 bag
NewtownClown 1 bag
Mattwa 1 bag
PeteQ 1 bag
Lex 1 bag
Hotmelt 1 bag

running total 40

There was an update from Yob in the Vic thread and by the time the malt is ready I may have a mill. But looks like all the spots are taken. Is it bad form to create a reserve list in case people drop off?

Nope

barls 1 bag
mb squared 1 bag
Nick R 5 bags
ducatiboy stu 4 bags
Mattfos01 1 bag
Fat ******* 1 bag.
Dunkelbrau 1 bag
Roastin 1 bag
Stuster 1 bag
tgiacomelli 1 bag
tonymc 1 bag
Josh 2 bags
redb 1 bag
Aussiebrewer 3 bags
5150 2 Bags
zwitter 1 bag
Yeastfridge 1 bag
Phonos 1 bag
gap 1 bag
skwaler 1 bag
black_labb 1 bag
MCHammo 1 bag
Codehopper 1 bag
Mikeyr 1 bag
NewtownClown 1 bag
Mattwa 1 bag
PeteQ 1 bag
Lex 1 bag
Hotmelt 1 bag

running total 40

Reserves (or 2nd pallet)
Reman 1 bag

Reserves total 1

From what I've read around the place, he's flat out just supplying local breweries and a few homebrewers that walk in
He's not exporting to the mainland yet

sp0rk said:
From what I've read around the place, he's flat out just supplying local breweries and a few homebrewers that walk in
He's not exporting to the mainland yet
So much for "one of the first few batches from the new facility"

Good on the bloke, but after this wait he had basically pre sold 1 tonne to ahb, but now he has consistent demand we don't matter, not even to pop in here and apologise. He is seeming no different than Cryer and Bintani at this point by not dealing in direct home brew trade even if a deal was already struck and people were standing here ready to throw cash!

Basically, reading through this thread and the others I am left with a bad taste, if his business ethics and communication on this business transaction (worth a couple of grand mind you) are this inconsistent, I'd rather go somewhere else that can supply me.

Personally I was excited, and slowly but surely I am thinking I won't buy out of principle - I am sure I'm not the only one! Remember, the young guys on here are the ones who will start breweries and need malt..

Kono said:
So much for "one of the first few batches from the new facility"

Good on the bloke, but after this wait he had basically pre sold 1 tonne to ahb, but now he has consistent demand we don't matter, not even to pop in here and apologise. He is seeming no different than Cryer and Bintani at this point by not dealing in direct home brew trade even if a deal was already struck and people were standing here ready to throw cash!

Basically, reading through this thread and the others I am left with a bad taste, if his business ethics and communication on this business transaction (worth a couple of grand mind you) are this inconsistent, I'd rather go somewhere else that can supply me.

Personally I was excited, and slowly but surely I am thinking I won't buy out of principle - I am sure I'm not the only one! Remember, the young guys on here are the ones who will start breweries and need malt..
That's a bit disappointing. I was happy to wait for the grain seeing as I put down early 2015 lol. But to hear we won't be getting it. Maybe someone should get in contact with the fella to confirm does anyone have a direct contact?

I sort of did...

Kinda confirm the above, he's looking after local interests primarily and that's consuming everything he produces.

As an instigator of the bulk buys I'm also pretty gutted we aren't seeing it followed through but at the end of the day, if it served only as inspiration to get going at least nobody has lost anything..

Agree it's pretty poor form on the communication though, we at least deserved an explanation from the horse's mouth..

...I'll see myself out...

It maybe purely commercial/business reason that he cant supply us

If he has breweries wanting everything they can get from him and the money is there, then you would be silly not to take it

Hopefully he can start providing to us in the future when things settle down

Ducatiboy stu said:
It maybe purely commercial/business reason that he cant supply us

If he has breweries wanting everything they can get from him and the money is there, then you would be silly not to take it

though you would also be silly not to come back to the forum where you first floated the idea and let them know that :)

Yes, but I would not let a forum dictate your business

I doubt he was just setting up a malting plant just for home brewers...

I have no doubt he had good intentions to begin with, but things are never that simple and dont always go to plan, and if he has contracts to fill that pay good money, well you do them first.

Ultimately what are you going to do....

When he gets up to speed and has evrything sorted then he may well start offering malt

In the begining he probably didnt have contracts, so went for the home brew market to get off the ground, but things changed on the way and he picked up a few breweries.

I am pretty sure Jow White dont give 2 fucks about home brewers

Back