Sydney Floor Malted Barley EOI

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go on then I'll have one.

barls 1 bag
mb squared 1 bag
Nick R 5 bags
ducatiboy stu 4 bags
Mattfos01 1 bag
Fat ******* 1 bag.
Dunkelbrau 1 bag
Roastin 1 bag
Stuster 1 bag
tgiacomelli 1 bag
Blind Dog 1 bag
tonymc 1 bag
Josh 2 bags
redb 1 bag
Aussiebrewer 2 bags
5150 2 Bags
zwitter 1 bag
Yeastfridge 1 bag
Phonos 1 bag
gap 1 bag
skwaler 1 bag
black_labb 1 bag
MCHammo 1 bag
Codehopper 1 bag
Mikeyr 1 bag
NewtownClown 1 bag
Mattwa 1 bag
PeteQ 1 bag
Lex 1 bag
Hotmelt 1 bag
running total 40

Ducatiboy stu said:
Was talking to Brewmatt today, in a strange coincidence at my local where myself, Bribie, Shaunus & brewmatt happened to be in the same pub within about 1 hr of each other..

Brewmatt was toying with the idea of doing a mini bulk buy via the general NSW buy for us Nth Coasters to get it over the line..

sp0rk, Crusty & Shaunus, you all need malt, so get in on it, to get a skid ( mini pallet ) up from Sydney wont cost a great deal

I have put aside a nice shiny new skid for the North Coasters.

Any update you can give us Not For Horses?

Things are still progressing but slower than I would have hoped. I've been spread a bit thin the last 6 weeks (personally and with work) but on track for November at this stage.

Hey guys, just wanted to give you a bit of an update on what is happening down here. I'll post this message in all three threads too.

Things are still progressing, just not as I had hoped. I've hit a snag with my main investor so have had to have a bit of a rethink of my process and a slight change of plans, mainly with the kiln design. Basically I now have a smaller kiln but will be running it more often. As I am designing all this equipment myself and having it built locally, it means there has been a bit of delay in the building of the kiln which is essential to getting production up and running.
At this stage we are now looking like late November or early December.
My apologies for any inconvenience this may cause but rest assured it is definitely still progressing!

Another bump. Any news?

Would love to see pics of the kiln etc when it's up and running

Hey everyone. Well December has rolled around and I'm still not operational. So frustrating when relying on things things to happen that are beyond your control.
I am currently building the kiln and I really really hope to have it operational this month.
I'll post a couple of progress pics on my facebook page and on AHB as well in the next few days though so you'll be able to see things progressing.
I'm really excited to see it coming together as this is something that I have designed myself and having local guys that can build it is fantastic. It's really cool to see something take shape in the real world that you have only ever seen in CAD!
I'm really sorry for the delay (again) and I hope that everyone will stay as keen as I am to see this project finally get up and running.

Cheers!

Thanks for the update. Like many others here I think what you’re doing is really cool; just eager to try some of your malt out is all. Best of luck with everything

Not meaning to sound pushy, but I am interested in the build side of things as well, if you have the time a few pics and stuff would certainly be cool!

Hey guys, getting back into the build now that the christmas break is over.
A few of the people that I have been using have been extra busy in the lead up to christmas which has delayed things again.
I guess it's a good sign that tradies in Tas are busy though yeah?

The kiln is both simple and complex at the same time.
It's basically a small room with a perforated floor that the grain sits in and hot air is blown through.
The heat exchanger is something of my of my own design and is being built in house.
All the steel plates in the photos have been laser cut locally by probably the coolest machine I have ever seen.
The guy fabricating this is a friend of mine that is also in the process of setting up his own workshop here in Launceston. He's a real gun and just knows how to get stuff done.
The gas fitter that is building the valve train and control system is also a local guy, based in the Tamar Valley. He is ridiculously knowledgeable and has been a huge help in the design process. This guy sits on the accreditation board for gas fitters in SA and works on all kinds of gas powered everything in the Asia Pacific region. Not bad for a Tasmanian.
So at this stage, I've got a mostly built heat exchanger, all the pieces for the kiln itself, a rather large pressure blower, a bunch of ducting and bits and I'm just waiting on the burner and control system to be finished so it can be bolted on.
Here is a couple pics from the heat exchanger build so far:

IMAG1300.jpg
IMAG1302.jpg
IMAG1327.jpg
IMAG1352.jpg

Back