Sydney Cbd Pub Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wax

Reaction score
I meet with a few mates for a boys night out once a month. We are running out of quality options.

So far we've covered...
Lord Nelson
Lowenbrau
Australian
Red Oak
Belgium Beer Cafe
Malt Shovel

Has anyone got any suggestions for a decent watering hole around the Sydney CBD area? something with more than the standard VB / New selection of course.

Wasn't Gerard starting another brewing in the CBD?

you got most of em covered...if you're in the mood for scraping the bottom of the barrel, theyve got a lot of (overpriced) beers at Jacksons on George - last time i was there they had chimay white on tap. theyve got about 100 bottles behind the bar with some good stuff like Orval and Maisels if youre feeling like spending a lot of money to sit in a grotty dive.

Sydney city RSL have st arnou pils for something silly like $3 a pint, great RSL atmosphere too

what else, i dunno, you can always buy a few takeaways from the Lowenbrau bottle shop and swig em under the harbour bridge

cant wait for the macquarie to open though.

The Hero of Waterloo has a few St Arnou beers on tap, as does the Harbourview.

There is alwasy Harts pub as well just behind Quay West and part of the ANA.
Seems to be closed on weekends, but definitely open during the week.
St Arnou beers on tap.

Gerard will be brewing at the MacQuarie Hotel on the corner of Landsdowne Ave and Goulburn St, but the beers won't be ready for a few more weeks yet.

Beers,
Doc

neonmeate said:
cant wait for the macquarie to open though.
Where exactly is the macquaire? On a hunch i walked down the length of Macquaire St and couldn't see it. Its amazing the stuff you do for beer on Uni Holidays

Will

Will try this
http://www.macquariehotel.com/
We should have 4 beers on tap around the beginning of March.

Another pub that doesn't get a mention is the Pumphouse. The old Thunderbolt is on tap again and very impressive, plus a wide range of other stuff.
If you are in Balmain try the Cat & Fiddle. They will have Paddy's Export Pilzner on tap very soon, probably next week.
Cheers
Gerard

Doc said:
Gerard will be brewing at the MacQuarie Hotel on the corner of Landsdowne Ave and Goulburn St, ...
and Kungy1 said

Where exactly is the macquaire? On a hunch i walked down the length of Macquaire St and couldn't see it. Its amazing the stuff you do for beer on Uni Holidays

Also the Nags Head on St Johns Rd (from memory) in Gleble for their Real Ale night.
First friday of the month ????

Doc

Can't believe i overlooked that. Guess that the pub has nothing to do with macquaire st. If it was that close to chinatown, i probably unknowingly walked right past it today

Will

if i didnt defer from uni (UTS) ths coming semester i could imagine quite i would make quite a few visits to the macquarie. just around the corner.

also on a side note st arnou pils is quite good.
although i reckon if you made a ESB fresh wort pils with budjevoice pil yeast you would be hard pressed to pick the difference.

make it a boys (very long) night out and head down to the Five Islands Brewery at W'Gong. Might be a nice change if you can swing it with the SWMBO's............

Plastic Man said:
make it a boys (very long) night out and head down to the Five Islands Brewery at W'Gong. Might be a nice change if you can swing it with the SWMBO's............
The wife and I stopped in at the 5 Islands last weekend on the way back from Dapto. Had a few of Tim's beers too(but not too many!!). From memory they had about 9(?) different beers on tap incl a lite and(beer of the moment) a Kolsch.
Also took in the dining too, with the wife having the Brewers(ploughmans) lunch and I had the Nachos.

Its DEFINITELY worth the trip.

http://www.fiveislandsbrewery.com/

Hi all,

New to this forum

Any idea when the Macquarie Micro will be open ?
Also what beers are they brewing ?

Hey Cam.
Welcome to AHB.

Gerard who made post #6 is this topic is the brewer at the MacQuarie.
The pub itself is open.
The beers brewed on the premises according to Gerards post will be available around the beginning of March.

Beers,
Doc

There is also a micro brewery in clarence st, just south of Market st. forgot the name, I only walked past it yesterday.

timmy said:
There is also a micro brewery in clarence st, just south of Market st. forgot the name, I only walked past it yesterday.
Do you meant the RedOak microbrewery that does Belgium style beers?

Will

hey Lads,
i went for a little RedOak tasting yesterday..!
all 3 were a great drop.
first up came the bock, nice and bold as expected.. i'd been told it was good..!
and also i think i read on this site that the organic pale ale was worth a tipple...
so i sampled that, alot of fruity overtones.
that was to be it.. and back off to work. But i couldnt help myself :chug: being a wheat fan the hefeweizen was calling.. and it was definately worth it.

definately recommended a visit. B)

Doc,
Thanks for the welcome and info .

Gerard - what brews will you be doing at the Macquarie ?

Cam

Back