SYD - Young Henrys Home Brew Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keeping with the Newtown theme - Thai Basil and Chilli beer... you know you want to :)

You will need a good Thai-Pun name to go with that.

There was a fundraiser at Henson Park last Sunday - Front End Loader, Celibate Rifles and the Meanies. Trip down amnesia lane....

Found some Lunchbox on youtube -

Last edited by a moderator:
You will need a good Thai-Pun name to go with that.

There was a fundraiser at Henson Park last Sunday - Front End Loader, Celibate Rifles and the Meanies. Trip down amnesia lane....

Found some Lunchbox on youtube -

LOL, I only remember 2 of their songs, Ring of Fire, and I think it's called "They are not my children".
Good family fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a reminder for this. Entries have started to come in. A couple of weeks left brewers...

Closed today.

Anyone else put an entry in? The box at Dave's looked like they'd only got 6 or 7 not including my 2.
Dropped mine off at the brewery. Got a little tour of the place by Oscar and it looks like a cool little hangout once it gets going!

Same- dropped entries off at the brewery on friday.

Now that entries have closed, I'd be quite interested to hear what styles of beer people submitted, ie, what they thought would go well with the rest of the YH range.

For the record, i entered a Schwartzbier, a Brown Porter, & an American IPA.

For those wondering, Oscar said that the judging will be held on a Saturday, either one or 2 weeks from now, and that they'll try to post a single feedback post on here for all the brewers, listing the pluses & minus's for each beer entered. Sounds good to me, & considering the work put in to make some beer especially for the comp i think will be very appreciated by the brewers...

Dropped mine in yesterday, looks like it is a going to be a great place - great bar area and the brewery is pure bling. I envisage stumbling home from here many times.

I submitted a Smoked Chipotle Porter, which I had brewed coincidentally just before this competition came out. Given they are looking to install American BBQ style smokers, I'm hoping it will be a good match to their menu.

Congratulations to our Inaugural Home Comp champion Brett Norman who wowed the judges with his Newtown Brown. Lots of bold Centennial hop flavour and aroma. We will keep you all posted when and where this will be available. Honorary mentions go to Geoff Hughes for his Punkin Chunkin (described by the Head Steward as one of the best pumpkin beers he had ever tasted) and Paul Ryan for his Smoked Chipotle Porter (I generally hate chilli beers but this was lovely). Special thanks to those who went to the extra effort of doing up interesting labels and/or creative descriptions. They helped us get through the 46 individual entries we received. The story of Bongin Bay particularly had us laughing. Thanks to the Home Brew stores that promoted the comp and collected entries. Finally, thanks to all who entered. Never fear, there will be another competition before the year is out...when we some up the courage to do it all again.

The Newtown Brown was awesome ...

Congratulations Brett, i look forward to trying your Newtown Brown round town! Sounds delicious.

Thanks Richard.

I brewed the Smoked Chipotle Porter - glad you guys liked it!

Can't wait for you to open your doors - it's going to be a great pub.

Thanks to Richard and the Young Henrys team for an awesome comp.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think my beer would be selected and I am still pinching myself that the Newtown Brown came through.

Can't wait to get down to the brewery and brew this sucker up!!

Any updates?

Stux, if you are after updates on entry feedback I can't help you. I can however give an update on the Newtown Brown brew day and where to get it:

Brew day was awesome, my mate and I were allowed to be very hands on throughout and Richard was a fountain of knowledge answering the many, many questions we had.

The final product was slightly less hoppy than my original entry (even after dry hopping 3kg of Centennial!!) but I did not expect to get an exact replica after the scaling up of the recipe and am more than happy with the result.

For those interested in sampling the Newtown Brown, as far as I am aware it is available at Midnight Special (Newtown), The Little Guy (Glebe), Baxter Inn (City) and Harts Pub (The Rocks).

Overall the whole experience has been awesome, a dream come true really. The Young Henry's team are great guys who are doing great things and if you are ever in the Newtown area be sure to drop in.

Latest posts

Back