Swiss/bahama?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Village Idiot

Reaction score
Went to the local Spotlight to buy some Swiss Voile for the new BIAB venture..... not in stock but had Bahama Voile. Looks like it will do the job??? Marked as 100% cotton. Is is the same/suitable for BIAB?

cheers Peter

You want something polyester, or nylon.

If they think they don't have it in stock - go find another staff member who knows the stock. They have a whole rack of it in about 10 colours. It's curtain material.

Unless your Spotlight is a really small one.

I asked at Spotlight a few months ago about Swiss Voile. The lady (who had obviously worked there for many years) said that they have not sold swiss voile for 10 years, and when they did it was a very expensive fabric. As Nick says you actually need curtain mesh/fabric which you can get at almost any fabric shop. Not sure why everyone still calls it swiss voile.

Not sure why everyone still calls it swiss voile.

Because on the rolls (of which there's a whole cubicle in my local Spotlight) it's labled "100% Polyester Swiss Voile - WHITE". It's about $6 a meter (by 1800 IIRC).

I've been in to the very same store and asked the staff and been told it doesn't exist ... and then walked up to the counter with the roll of something they don't sell. Too many staff in these warehouse places would rather tell you it doesn't exist than admit they didn't know what they sold. Bunnings staff are often bad at it too. Find the oldest, meanest old bag staffmember you can find - she'll know where it is.

Looks like I am off to Spotlight again....... they didnt seem to be very knowledgable, maybe more luck this time

Also look in the clearance bins at spotlight. Usually always some end of rolls in there. Only a couple of dollars for anything up to 2 metres.

I asked at Spotlight a few months ago about Swiss Voile. The lady (who had obviously worked there for many years) said that they have not sold swiss voile for 10 years, and when they did it was a very expensive fabric. As Nick says you actually need curtain mesh/fabric which you can get at almost any fabric shop. Not sure why everyone still calls it swiss voile.

I give up on Spotlight.... bloody hopeless staff. "I dont usually work in this section" - dont work at all more like it!!

Can I use very fine weave muslin or does it have to be synthetic??

Peter

I've been in to the very same store and asked the staff and been told it doesn't exist ... and then walked up to the counter with the roll of something they don't sell.
Had the same experience at my local Spotlight, 2 staff members telling me it does not exist, only to find it myself (in a huge display) on the end of one of the isles.

Swissvoile_010.jpg

Back