Swing Top Seal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingKong

Reaction score
The swing top seals on my Grolsch bottles are starting to take to the shape of the closed swing top and have compressed where they should seal instead of flexing back to flat like when I first started using them. Though they haven't perished. I've noticed one bottle and now two bottles have not sealed properly over the the last two brews..

By taking off the seal and flipping it over I think I have fixed the problem. It forces the seal to work against the two edges of the bottle again.

I know the seals are cheap to replace but has any one successfully just flipped over the seal?

I flip mine every time I reuse them, so far it has worked, (about 3 - 4 times) but I'm going to start replacing them just to be safe.

Where's the best place to get the seals, and how much are they normally, I got about a hundred old grolsch bottles sitting there with buggered seals and havnt had the chance to use them yet, but will be soon.

Shaun..

not sure what they cost to buy... but there's always the silicon baking tray and couple of leather hole punches... same as making gaskets etc for brew equipment...

that's what i plan to do when mine start to wear (but i have 1.5L grolschies so the seals may not be as readily avail commercially)...

LHBS have them - about $0.25 each for the silicon ones

I remembered after my last post, that when I got my replacement seals for some old bottles I had picked up, I went to LHBS spent about $80 on other stuff and he threw in enough seals, (about 20) for free.

So I'm not sure how much they are, but 25c ea seems to be the approximate rate on ebay.

Maybe punching some out of suitable material might be an option.

LHBS sells them

about 10 cents each

2 sorts

silicone

? rubber

Risk vs Cost is not really worth it. Just gonna buy some more.

Back