SWIMBO advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
where are you located? perhaps you can brew with a local brewing buddy away from home.
I brew with 2 other mates - makes brew day a breeze. We talk shit drink beers while bottling the last batch waiting for the mash and boil to do its thing.

spog said:
Still cross eyed are you :)
It's just the shame in knowing I've denied myself something for so long based on what "society" told me I should like.

Now I'm just a confused husk of self. No real inter workings aside from a prostate. That was confirmed.

If you want to keep a healthy and functioning prostate eat a handful of walnuts everyday and have loads of sex, just don't let your wife find out, she might eat all your walnuts :D

On the subject of getting a digital reaming, last time I went for a blood test a few months ago, the lady told me that PSA levels (checked via blood tests) are a more reliable indicator if troubles afoot than having your prostate tickled.
So good news if thats actually the case.
Or disappointing, depending on your point of view.

Amazing how panspernian's original post about not being able to brew in the house because alcohol fumes are deemed as poisonous by his wife has evolved into digital examinations of the prostate.
One wonders whether alcohol consumption, and it is predominantly beer which causes prostate cancer, is sitting in an unconscious state of mind of beer drinkers or was it Mardoo's number 36 post

Dave70 said:
On the subject of getting a digital reaming, last time I went for a blood test a few months ago, the lady told me that PSA levels (checked via blood tests) are a more reliable indicator if troubles afoot than having your prostate tickled.
She's about 80% right, so I guess it depends if you like betting with your life...

Depending on your age, I would recommend getting a baseline PSA. A sharp uptake in levels can indicate a tumour, but still be within 'safe' thresholds. Oh, and get a new GP.

Dave70 said:
Most Doctors would probably bulk bill, so you can get a Hopoate for free. God love our universal health care system

Dave70 said:
Ehh, doctors aren't fully agreeing on this. There's arguments on both sides when it comes to the effectiveness of either diagnostic method.

peas_and_corn said:
Ehh, doctors aren't fully agreeing on this. There's arguments on both sides when it comes to the effectiveness of either diagnostic method.
Generally thats a good thing in the scientific / medical realm. One hopes they'll reach a consensus based on vigorous research, logic and evidence that will benefit us all in the long run.
Gee..why cant religions be like that?..

Anyways, currently it would seem good policy to cover your bases and get both tests. So be it.
Unless my GP moonlights as a center for the Kings, I would have had a rougher time the morning after eating homemade pizza with a wholemeal base. With chili. And beer.

peas_and_corn said:
I have heard this as well , 2 choices,ones a prick the others a finger.
And back to the OT, change the locks. ;)

A friend of my father had 3 tests,the finger, blood and biopsy, all came back ok but he wasn't satisfied and asked for the prostate to be removed, the surgeon who removed it told him it was one of the worst he had ever seen.
The first 2 are are known not to be 100% accurate but throw a biopsy in the mix then it can be a bit worrying.

Facetiousness aside, there does seem to be a kernel of truth behind the frequent rooting / wallnut eating theory (though I thought it was Brazil nuts due to the selenium content) to help prevention.
Beside that, all the usual suspects - lower the meat and dairy, increase the fruit / veg and legumes. Cook you tomatoes in olive oil and with handfuls of turmeric and you're good to go.
The common denominator with all these dietary must do's seems to be fiber. And plenty of it.

peas_and_corn said:
Actually, there is also a huge debate over whether screening (using either test) is doing more harm than good. Problem is that most men will die with a prostate problem. But they won't die because of the prostate problem. A huge percentage of prostate growths are benign and slow growing. If you start treating them all, you open a lot of people up for fairly serious side effects (incontinence, impotence...) to treat something that doesn't need to be treated.A lot of GPs are recommending that you don't start testing till 50 or 60 unless you actually have symptoms of something.

Jury well and truly out on this one.

Agree with everything you save Dave, bar the Brazil nuts, the selenium in one Brazil nut is enough for a daily intake, I believe it is more than a tin of sardines, too much selenium can lead to selenium poisoning while I was trying to increase my immune system I was taking 2 / day, everything you said is spot on especially the turmeric the more of that you can get inside you the better.

As for the OP it may seem a bit harsh but pregnant women do tend to be insecure in their relationship, you could use that insecurity to your advantage and tell her you want to go to counselling because your not happy with the way your relationship is going. It is not advice I don't think I could go through with, but if you are that keen to brew she may be willing to negotiate rather than going to counselling.

wide eyed and legless said:
especially the turmeric the more of that you can get inside you the better.
Given the turn this thread has taken, how are you applying that turmeric? A big lump is bound to be uncomfortable.

Back