Sweet wheat?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langaandy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a question. I am looking at brewing a wheat beer with the following recipe:

Morgan's golden sheaf wheat kit
1.1kg light dry malt extract
200g dex
200g lactose
US-05 yeast

Reason being I have a mix bag with 600g ldme,200g dex, 200g lactose, that I need to use and a 500g bag of ldme to add.

I was just wondering if anyone has done something like this before, or will the lactose give it an odd taste or over sweeten it too much

I haven't used lactose myself, but I have read in quite a few places that anything less than 250gm (some even say 500gm) of lactose is barely noticeable in 20 litres of beer/cider. You have 3kg of other fermentables in the bill that will likely overpower it completely.

That being said, your recipe looks pretty good to me, would be an interesting "American Wheat" type of beer once it's done. Sounds like a right quaffer actually.

As far as i know lactose is mostly or completely unfermentable langaandy, and given that a lot kits are lightly hopped then it will be sweeter. It is only 200g and if the recipe calls for it the it's probably ok. I don't think it will taste odd but a bit sweeter than without.

Latest posts

Back