Sweet It Up!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sander

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I made a cider and a ginger beer but they both turned out way to dry to my taste. I'd like to back sweeten them but I'm wondering how to do that when bottling.

I bought some lactose but that doesn't taste very sweet to me so how much to use of this and does that alter the flavor at all?

Cheers guys!

Hey guys,

I made a cider and a ginger beer but they both turned out way to dry to my taste. I'd like to back sweeten them but I'm wondering how to do that when bottling.

I bought some lactose but that doesn't taste very sweet to me so how much to use of this and does that alter the flavor at all?

Cheers guys!

Lactose will do the trick - how much sweeter would you like it? Now I don't know od this would work, but if you were kegging you could try sweetening the cider with a bit of commercial apple juice and kept nice and cold. The preservatives and the low temps should keep the yeast at bay.

Youre bottling though, so unfermentable sugars are your best bet here

Pour 250ml into a glass add Lactose at 25g-50g/20L
Taste and trial till you get a measurement you like
So for 250ml you would add about .2g
Baah too complicated
Add 1g to your glass if you like it then add 180g-200g to your brew
Personally i was using Lactose but found it to start tasting a little metallic, so stopped using it and starting enjoying a more dry cider

For the cider, you can always sweeten it in the glass. 3/4 glass Cider, 1/4 apple juice (or what ever ratio you end up liking)

Latest posts

Back