Swan Brewery Closing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eamonnfoley

Foleybraü
Reaction score
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-17/swan...8482?section=sa

WA no longer has a large brewery. Bit sad really despite the fact they no longer produced anything of interest. Obviously Lion (Kirin) doesnt see any value in brewing in Western Australia, probably the cost of labour.

And not seeing any new craft breweries in recent years here in the Perth area. Just a whole lot more imports hitting our shelves.

Yeah it's really disappointing to see another go even if it is just Swan. Nice to see the current staff are being offered the jobs in other states but the take up rate would be minimal as you'd have to relocate to SA/Tas.

I hope some of the local guys can make a dent in the market similar to LC in the near future.

Thank Bondy for this one. The brewery was hopelessly overspecced in both facilities, utilities and capacity. There was in the end, no way it could brew to anything like a reasonable capacity. I remember when it was being built (I was living in Perth then starting up another company) and was amazed at the stories circulating in the construction industry about the massive roof trusses and the "snow loading" designed into the roof of the complex by the Canadian architects. Swan Gold was going to take over the world....

Wes

:D Save the Swan Brewery......Stop random breath testing. :D

Let's hope Feral buys it before Little Creatures does!

Although I bet Lion will break it up to avoid any competition taking over the site... Jerk holes.

Guys, it is simply too big in output to make money in WA. Would be a doubtful business prospect even if it was located in the eastern states.

Wes

Guys, it is simply too big in output to make money in WA. Would be a doubtful business prospect even if it was located in the eastern states.

Wes

Given it is owned by Lion, the spare capacity could have been used to expand LC instead of Geelong. Don't buy the capacity argument. It's just too expensive to do anything in WA these days.

I still shake my head when I drive past Matilda bay in North Freo.

We haven't had a new craft brewery in the Perth Area for years. I think we are in decline over here. Covering it up with copious amounts of imports. But nothing beats brewery fresh beer (as we all know on here)

but the take up rate would be minimal as you'd have to relocate to SA/Tas.

I thought only Victorians thought like this. Sure it's sad to see any industry close in your state, but SA and Tassie have a lot to offer. Try it - you might be pleasantly surprised. :D

Obviously Lion (Kirin) doesnt see any value in brewing in Western Australia, probably the cost of labour.
If they sold it to that Gina Rinehart person she could bring in boatloads of slave workers from overseas to keep it running. I bet she'd make billions of dollars of profit for WA and Australia herself.

Great day when Alan Bond won the America's Cup.
Disaster when he took over Castlemaine Perkins :(

I saw yesterday on Seek that they were advertising for a groundskeeper to fertilise the lawns etc. I knew it was closing but I thought that it might be a good sign. It is actually probably just to make sure the place looks good in March when there is all of the media coverage as they close the doors.

I think that this is just part of the inevitable and overdue reality check that is coming: just living in the world, a world which the majority of Perth seems to be willfully blissfully ignorant of. Hell, they will probably all rather drink seawater than EB or Swan brewed "over east" - and you have to say "over east" like it is the boogie man coming to eat your children.

The place is way overspecced, and from what I have heard only ever runs at a fraction of capacity, but that is what makes it cool. I have to see if I am able to get a tour before it all goes.

I wonder if Stone, Sierra Nevada, Dogfish Head, <add brewery> would like a southern hemisphere base???

Would be bold but exciting!

(Yes, I know it won't happen)

:chug:

I'd love it if Weihenstephan or Spaten took it over

Back