Suspect Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citizensnips

Reaction score
I wouldn't normally ask this but I have a suspicious pale ale in the fermenter atm that is sending me nuts. Here's the recipe,

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.10 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 78.5 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 2 15.4 %
0.40 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (140.0 EBC) Grain 3 6.2 %
20.00 g Pride of Ringwood [9.00 %] - Boil 60.0 m Hop 4 15.7 IBUs
7.00 g Pride of Ringwood [9.00 %] - Boil 40.0 m Hop 5 4.8 IBUs
11.00 g B Saaz [7.90 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 5.1 IBUs
It was mashed at about 64-65 and brewed with re cultured pale ale yeast at 18C. OG was 1.047 and estimated FG was 1.009 however its currently sitting at 1.016 after 2 weeks in the fermenter. I know the if its been constant 3 days what not, and it has for at least 4 days. But something is telling me its not quite right and I really cannot be f%$d with bottle bombs right now.
Thoughts?

You look like you've been around for a while so forgive me if you've already done this, but have you tried giving it a swirl to rouse the yeast, or pitching more?

are you using a refractometer or a hydrometer for your gravity readings?

Gave it a swirl, didn't do anything. Using two hydrometers that I've used for quite a while and know are accurate.

Yeah I thought about that. It's a real shot in the dark but at least it's been on the safer side

I found an additional 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient boiled and added to the fermenter got a stalled ferment going again.

In my view, 600 ml starter from 2 Coopers stubbies into a 6.5 kg brew equals underpitching.

I'm not surprised it's not attenuating down to where you wish it to be.

I'm not an expert at pitching more yeast well into fermentation. Perhaps others on here will have better ideas how to manage that issue.

warra48 said:
In my view, 600 ml starter from 2 Coopers stubbies into a 6.5 kg brew equals underpitching.

I'm not surprised it's not attenuating down to where you wish it to be.

I'm not an expert at pitching more yeast well into fermentation. Perhaps others on here will have better ideas how to manage that issue.
Yeah I'd be doubling that starter - especialy considering the OG. First time I used CPA yeast I stepped up two longnecks to 1.5 litres and even that struggled with an OG of 1.039. Next brew pitched on to the yeast cake went off like a rocket. Sorry I can't offer any practical advice for your current situation though.

Ideally the lower the mash temp the longer the mash should be for, how long was the mash at temp of 64c for?

there is a fair whack of crystal there too, I would be surprised if you got to 1.009!

Well sheeeet now I don't know what to do. Don't have yeast nutrient. I sterilised a spoon and got the cake of the bottom and gave it a gentle swirl to see how it would go. Now I don't know to bottle with normal or little priming sugar. Do you recon if the yeast isn't capable now it will be when it's bottled? I assume if it can eat that much dextrose it will probably consume what ever is left in the brew as well......any thoughts or experience here?

Do a fast ferment test to to find out what the FG should be.
400g crystal in that volume isn't super crazy.

Latest posts

Back