Supposed to be an IPA, Sweet AF though??

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowlyf

Reaction score
So today I had a few hours spare so raced up to brewers choice and grabbed some extract shiz.
I was going for a single hop (chinook) IPA but as there was no chinook I decided to grab some Citra and El Dorado as I have never brewed with El Dorado before.

Anyway last week I brewed a quick pale ale, its hoppy as and today it's cold crashing - still hoppy and bloody great. Today I tasted my wort's SG and all's I could really taste was this massive sweetness. I havent really used the LDME before, but the recipe called for it so who am I to judge? I've posted the recipe below, why is this thing sweet AF when it should have around 58 IBU's???
  • 2.5kg Liquid Light Malt Extract
  • 1kg Liquid Light Malt Extract
  • 500g Light Dried Malt
  • 200g Crystal Malt
  • 250g Caramalt
  • 30g Citra Hops (14% AA) ‐ 60 min boil
  • 20g El Dorado Hops (10.7% AA) & Irish Moss ‐ 10 min boil
  • 10g Citra Hops (14% AA) – 0 min boil
  • 10g El Dorado Hops (10.7% AA) – 0 min boil
  • 30g El Dorado Hops (10.7% AA) – Dry Hop
  • Safale US‐05 Yeast

This isn't the S-04 beer is it? What was the OG and FG?

How did you boil the citra, ie was LDME, can, etc added and how's many litres was the boil?

Citra seems to bring some sweetness with it. Was the crystal dark or light?

Yeah many questions on the details. Is this all extract? Those crystal and cara seem high.
I know I broke the rule of thumb with cara-pils. Eg: recommended up to 5% I used 18% and regreted it in a Pils. Even though it finished lowish 1.010 it had an overload of sweetness at 40IBU.

Yeah many questions on the details. Is this all extract? Those crystal and cara seem high.
I know I broke the rule of thumb with cara-pils. Eg: recommended up to 5% I used 18% and regreted it in a Pils. Even though it finished lowish 1.010 it had an overload of sweetness at 40IBU.

This isn't the S-04 beer is it? What was the OG and FG?

How did you boil the citra, ie was LDME, can, etc added and how's many litres was the boil?

Citra seems to bring some sweetness with it. Was the crystal dark or light?

No the s-04 beer is now cold crashing, tastes unreal actually.

The OG on this one was 1.052, a little low actually. I was aiming for 1.060ish..
I had 4L of water, with the grains steeping for half an hour in 1.5L. Then sparged with an extra 1L.
So once the boil started it was roughly 6.5L water and 1kg of LME. Crystal was medium.

You also have to consider loss of hop utilisation if using a cage or sock, minimum would be 10% loss in efficiency.

60min boil hops when straight in. My 10 min ones were through a sock but I shouldn't lose all that much bitterness from those really. Maybe I should have gone for 40g at 60min

I used to believe that hop socks made no difference in loss of bitterness but it does, there has been a lot written about contained hops during the boil and the loss of utilisation.

No the s-04 beer is now cold crashing, tastes unreal actually.

The OG on this one was 1.052, a little low actually. I was aiming for 1.060ish..
I had 4L of water, with the grains steeping for half an hour in 1.5L. Then sparged with an extra 1L.
So once the boil started it was roughly 6.5L water and 1kg of LME. Crystal was medium.
What is your FG?

Only brewed it yesterday man
It will get considerably drier and more bitter as it approaches and reaches final gravity.

I just did a ~100IBU IPA that was extremely malty prior to fermenting, but I know that when it gets down to 1.010-1.012 it's going to be a very different story.

As the saying goes: relax, don't worry, have a homebrew. US-05 is generally a stronger than S-04 - or seems that way anyway - and you should get 80-85% attenuation out of it - finishing probably at 1.008 to 1.012.

Your suprised your beer is sweet before fermentation? Of course it is! The sugars have not been converted to alcohol yet.

It is very normal for your wort to be sweet. Let us know in 2 weeks what it tastes like.

Also, it should be noted that boil volume and gravity has an impact on hop utilisation. If you have a small boil volume that has too much/not enough malt in it you wont get as much out of the hops.

Minimum boil volume should be 8L and try to get the boil to 1.040, this will help hitting IBU numbers.

Your suprised your beer is sweet before fermentation? Of course it is! The sugars have not been converted to alcohol yet.

It is very normal for your wort to be sweet. Let us know in 2 weeks what it tastes like.

Also, it should be noted that boil volume and gravity has an impact on hop utilisation. If you have a small boil volume that has too much/not enough malt in it you wont get as much out of the hops.

Minimum boil volume should be 8L and try to get the boil to 1.040, this will help hitting IBU numbers.

Sorry I guess I didn't state that I was comparing it to my Pale Ale that I brewed last weekend. That wort tasted really bitter. It was great and has now balanced out well (using s-04). And this IPA uses more hops, but more malt and is insanely sweet.
All good though, as ADR_0 said, i'll see how it pans out

Sorry I guess I didn't state that I was comparing it to my Pale Ale that I brewed last weekend. That wort tasted really bitter. It was great and has now balanced out well (using s-04). And this IPA uses more hops, but more malt and is insanely sweet.
All good though, as ADR_0 said, i'll see how it pans out

This is why yeast selection has to consider the beer you will be left with: dry, with the malt cut back a bit and hops coming forward (US-05) or fuller, rounder and with some more character (S-04). So for each of these, you may need to compensate: extra crystal and some Munich for US-05, and extra hops for S-04.

But by the sounds of it you may have just ended up designing two nicely balanced beers. :)

Pretty much Yeah! And I got that info from this unreal forum.

Update though. Huge krausen today with a massive, nose tingling c02 hit coming out the keezer so she is definitely working

Latest posts

Back