Supporting Independent Breweries

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just on this, not trying to throw a cat amongst it all, but i'm not sure it's that simple a transaction.

If for example the same bottle was purchased elsewhere, they'd still get the sales ticking over encouraging them to make more of it, but the slightly higher price, i would hope, could mean more actual profit to the manufacturer.

I have a close friend who is an apple farmer, who has had to go into vegetable farming too, to be profitable against the duopoly of coles and woolies.
The way he and his competition get royally fucked over by coles and woolies over price and quality, makes it hard to do business.

I can't help but think that if buying grog from coles or woolies owned bottle shops or pubs, means less actual profit for the brewery who made it because they've taken a hit in their margins to actually get it into a coles or woolies outlet in the first place.

where i live, pretty much all (conservative approximation as i actually believe every outlet) are owned by either coles or woolies.
If i had the opportunity to buy beer at any other outlet in my regional centre of Mt Gambier, i would jump at the chance to give them my patronage.

I would gladly pay an extra dollar a bottle if i KNEW it was going back into the brewery.

Coles and Woolies won't be taking a hit by selling the beer cheaper at their outlets than other ones....it will be the producer being forced to supply at a rate dictated to them by the duopoly.

What really is fucked though (but completely expected) is that people that really like beer are the minority, and an attitude like mine of being happy to pay an extra dollar to go back to the breweries is lost on them.

**** that, i can buy it cheaper here.....etc.. That's the attitude of the average alcohol consumer, which will basically translate into the situation where Coles and Woolies can get away with dictating a supply price because the vast majority of people will always shop based on cost alone.
I shop based on cost, but i'm saying it's not necessarily the deciding factor of where i shop.

I was at a Schneider Wiesse dinner during QLD beer week a while ago and had a chat to the distributer at the end.
I asked if he would consider selling to Dans (so I could buy it closer to home basically) and he said that they can get effed because they try to low ball you so they can undercut everyone else.

So buying from a independent bottle-o probably does make a difference (if any exist anymore :rolleyes: )

80% of bottle shops in QLD according to the internets:

QUEENSLAND
(QLD is a special case in that no one can open a bottle shop without first having a hotel and the hotel license. When Coles or Woolworths take over a pub in QLD, it is not long before they have put in a bottle shop (up to a maximum of 3) within 10km of the pub and sell alcohol at low prices (sometimes lower than cost) in order to drive the smaller pubs and bottle shops out of business. Once they have successfully done this, their prices are raised (not their supply prices, so the brewery and farmer still make nothing because the coles/woolworths bottle shops are the only ones they can sell to) and the original pub is worse than ever. As a result of this, Coles and Woolworths own 80% of all bottle shops in QLD - Dan Murphys, First Choice, Liquor Land, Vintage Cellars, to name a few.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thank-you-fo...57478692?v=info

QLD is a special case in that no one can open a bottle shop without first having a hotel and the hotel license.

Damn, that sucks.

Shouldn't we be buying beers straight from the Micros then? Isn't buying Micros from Dans totally wrong?

Or is it okay to support Micros and the Coles/Woollies duoploy?

Or should I just make a hefe using all german ingredients at home for $2 a sixpack?

OK - here's your solution.

Buy direct from the brewer. Get on their website and order a case. They will mail it to you and they will get 100% of the sales profit. Postage (by courier) will be around 30-50c per bottle - no biggie, right? If they don't have sales by website, give them a call and have a chat. the vast majority of micros in australia will fall over themselves to send you their beer. They'll even do a mixed case for you if you ask politely. Order a few cases and they might talk discounts. Get your mates involved and order a whole bunch of cases!

Cheers - Snow.

Just on this, not trying to throw a cat amongst it all, but i'm not sure it's that simple a transaction.

If for example the same bottle was purchased elsewhere, they'd still get the sales ticking over encouraging them to make more of it, but the slightly higher price, i would hope, could mean more actual profit to the manufacturer.

I have a close friend who is an apple farmer, who has had to go into vegetable farming too, to be profitable against the duopoly of coles and woolies.
The way he and his competition get royally fucked over by coles and woolies over price and quality, makes it hard to do business.

I can't help but think that if buying grog from coles or woolies owned bottle shops or pubs, means less actual profit for the brewery who made it because they've taken a hit in their margins to actually get it into a coles or woolies outlet in the first place.

where i live, pretty much all (conservative approximation as i actually believe every outlet) are owned by either coles or woolies.
If i had the opportunity to buy beer at any other outlet in my regional centre of Mt Gambier, i would jump at the chance to give them my patronage.

I would gladly pay an extra dollar a bottle if i KNEW it was going back into the brewery.

Coles and Woolies won't be taking a hit by selling the beer cheaper at their outlets than other ones....it will be the producer being forced to supply at a rate dictated to them by the duopoly.

What really is fucked though (but completely expected) is that people that really like beer are the minority, and an attitude like mine of being happy to pay an extra dollar to go back to the breweries is lost on them.

**** that, i can buy it cheaper here.....etc.. That's the attitude of the average alcohol consumer, which will basically translate into the situation where Coles and Woolies can get away with dictating a supply price because the vast majority of people will always shop based on cost alone.
I shop based on cost, but i'm saying it's not necessarily the deciding factor of where i shop.

OK - here's your solution.

Buy direct from the brewer. Get on their website and order a case. They will mail it to you and they will get 100% of the sales profit. Postage (by courier) will be around 30-50c per bottle - no biggie, right? If they don't have sales by website, give them a call and have a chat. the vast majority of micros in australia will fall over themselves to send you their beer. They'll even do a mixed case for you if you ask politely. Order a few cases and they might talk discounts. Get your mates involved and order a whole bunch of cases!

Cheers - Snow.

Bloody good idea. I just sent an email to CUB. :D

As homebrewers (people with the best knowledge of beer and beer styles and probably the best beer appreciation skills) aren't we indirectly NOT supporting Aussie Micros by making our own beer at home instead of buying it from them?

Here's what I propose: all us homebrewers should give up homebrewing because it is stopping us supporting Aussie Micros. I know if I didn't brew, I'd spend thousands a year with Aussie Micros.

In effect - the real reason Australia doesn't have a strong Microbrewery scene IS BECAUSE OF ALL THE HOMEBREWERS.

You, yes you, homebrewer ... are to blame. :p

ILoveThisThread.jpg

QLD is a special case in that no one can open a bottle shop without first having a hotel and the hotel license.

Damn, that sucks.
Yep so unlike other states, ordinary grocery stores can't sell alcohol.

Coles and Woolies get around this by buying the local pub & opening a BWS/LL in the tenancy right next door to their supermarket, and use the back pages of their catalogues to advertise their alcohol stores.. effectively bypassing the legislation while the independents miss out.

Yep so unlike other states, ordinary grocery stores can't sell alcohol.

Coles and Woolies get around this by buying the local pub & opening a BWS/LL in the tenancy right next door to their supermarket, and use the back pages of their catalogues to advertise their alcohol stores.. effectively bypassing the legislation while the independents miss out.

Reminds me, I need to buy more shares in Coles Myer.

I use the dividends cheques to buy homebrew ingredients.

Snow,

in theory it's a great idea.

However, i suspect (could very well be wrong, and will gladly admit it if proven) that if the beer industry is anything like the fruit and veg industries, a lot of micros might have contracts drawn up by Coles/Woolies stating that they are limited when it comes to supplying other retail outlets not owned by the duopoly.
This contract guarantees that the big boys will buy product, which the micro's would love as it to a certain extent guarantees some income, but the downside is that the price they will purchase product from the micros for is very low. Trade off.

As i said, i could very easily be misguided with this, but i know it happens in other industries that are controlled by the two major's, so i would expect some level of similarity with beverages.

As homebrewers (people with the best knowledge of beer and beer styles and probably the best beer appreciation skills) aren't we indirectly NOT supporting Aussie Micros by making our own beer at home instead of buying it from them?

Here's what I propose: all us homebrewers should give up homebrewing because it is stopping us supporting Aussie Micros. I know if I didn't brew, I'd spend thousands a year with Aussie Micros.

In effect - the real reason Australia doesn't have a strong Microbrewery scene IS BECAUSE OF ALL THE HOMEBREWERS.

You, yes you, homebrewer ... are to blame. :p

That is a damn good point. But then again, if homebrewers didn't homebrew then they probably wouldn't develop the beer appreciation skills in the first place. Hmmmm. Chicken or egg?

All Micro-Brewers probably start as homebrewers anyway...I say Brew & DRINK good beer and be merry!!

Reminds me, I need to buy more shares in Coles Myer.

I use the dividends cheques to buy homebrew ingredients.

CML hasn't existed for years. They divested Myer from the rest of it (sold it back to the family), and Coles Group was bought by Wesfarmers (aka, Bunnings and some Coal and Agri-investments).

Buy shares in Wesfarmers, shop at LL and Bunnings and use the dividends to pay for ingredients.

Back