Supporting Independent Breweries

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was the same price as the one with like, a date on it, like 1756 or something. That tastes like Scarlett Johanssen's nipples.

:lol: :icon_drool2:

I think your arguement is a bit shortsighted. The consumer/provider system is quite complex and you are over simplifying it. Vote with your wallet.

I get the impression that you are more of a lager drinker as well which may explain your discontent with microbreweries. there is a big emphasis on full flavoured ales, mostly american style ales which I can also find frustrating (though my preference is for english/belgian ales).

I get the impression that you are more of a lager drinker as well which may explain your discontent with microbreweries.

Your impression unfortunately is wrong - but I appreciate your typing that.

Missing my point.

Here is my point: I would LOVE to see Aussie Micros DOMINATING the market with beer that was as good as anything from the countries the style they are brewing originated.

But supporting Micros for their industry, not their product is dumb.

No-one should be missing your point now Nick since you've belaboured it so much. Your last sentence does however suggest that you have missed the point of thread which I have no interest in repeating. It's there in text, should you wish to find it. I'll say one last time what it wasn't though: it was never about supporting micros solely for industry over product.

A contrary perspective to mine is welcome (for example /// who comes from a place of experience on the topic) and if discussion is going to ensue it would be great to get some more perspective from that end.

If the local beer is good, we will buy it.

Amen...

I do as you are saying Manticle, buy the odd couple of local/different beers when the wife heads to Dans to stock up on wine. Mass breweries beers at Dans when they are on special are very hard to pass up on price, to just have in the fridge/pantry for them social events and visits, even if they are bland in comparison to HB.

p.s. I got a 6'er of the Burleigh Brewing Co's HEF a few weeks back, I wish I never did, struggled through 2 and threw the rest at my alcoholic neighbour who would drink metho if it was toned down with OJ, and he even threw them back at me, I either got a bad batch, or they are meant to taste that way.. I'll try them another time to re-evaluate..

p.s. I got a 6'er of the Burleigh Brewing Co's HEF a few weeks back, I wish I never did, struggled through 2 and threw the rest at my alcoholic neighbour who would drink metho if it was toned down with OJ, and he even threw them back at me, I either got a bad batch, or they are meant to taste that way.. I'll try them another time to re-evaluate..

My first taste of HEF was unbelievable! Loved every drop....but got another 6 pack of it and it was totally different! Bad as anything, struggled to get through a bottle.

I love Burleigh Brewing (for obvious reasons) but I think they might have had some dramas with HEF at one stage

I think you got a bad/mishandled batch. I've got HEF a few times from my local bottle-o and each time it has been superb and fresh tasting.

Well i'm heading down the Goldy right now to catch up with a mate, i'll grab another 6pack and see how I go.

Sounds as though they may have had a HEF issue a while back...

I like it when I do get to find a new Aussie brew. Pop the top, have a sniff then a good swig. If I don't like it I'll source out there other styles if they have them and give them ago. I've had some that wasn't to my taste when others said they were pleased with the brew. Each to there own I say. I'm also not too fussed over the cost as I can understand turnover and excise. The ones that I like I'll find out where their Brew Pub or Brewery is and will visit whilst in that area (sometimes to many visits :D ) and have it out of the tap. I must admit though that I mainly drink Aussie owned Ales (with an occasional import) and like to keep most of my coin in the country.

What a great way to try different beers!

If a micros beer is good enough, people will buy it.

If enough people buy it, the micro will be bought out by one of the big boys.

Unfortunate really.

I remember drinking fresh dark wheat beer at a small independent brewery locally (SCB), this same beer got a gold at 2008 AIBA and came within a bees dick of knocking a dunkelweizen from Wiehenstephan off its perch at the same 2008 AIBA.

Now hold the phone, an aussie micro knocking out 10HL batches manages to brew a dark wheat beer almost and arguably as good as a brewery that has been doing this for how many hundreds of years. The beer was sensational and what happened to it? this beer should have been an aussie revelation but NO! It fell through the cracks and was never seen again, why? NO SUPPORT. <_<

I remember drinking fresh dark wheat beer at a small independent brewery locally (SCB), this same beer got a gold at 2008 AIBA and came within a bees dick of knocking a dunkelweizen from Wiehenstephan off its perch at the same 2008 AIBA.

Now hold the phone, an aussie micro knocking out 10HL batches manages to brew a dark wheat beer almost and arguably as good as a brewery that has been doing this for how many hundreds of years. The beer was sensational and what happened to it? this beer should have been an aussie revelation but NO! It fell through the cracks and was never seen again, why? NO SUPPORT. <_<

At the end of the day its David vs Goliath...and unfortunately Goliath has a big advertising budget and marking department and can push their product.

But I will still stand by the little guy :) I enjoy my beer because it tastes good, not because there marketing campaign is good (though the Made From Beer ads are pretty funny)

2009 AIBA not 2008.

I'm not asking you to buy beer you hate or stop buying beer you love - just consider adding one or two in along with the rest.

I kind of feel this statement advocates a degree of charity to weaker brands, in order to keep them in business; what will be, will be. Breweries making a particularly good drop, or perhaps more importantly have an aggressive marketing edge/strategy wont see the same natural attrition to those who don't. If you really want to help, buy a six pack, slab, keg or get some stock options.

Besides, its called 'craft beer' for a reason; it's unique, not mass produced and tailors for a niche market. As soon as it exceeds almost any of these parameters, it falls into the hands of a multinational conglomerate.

I think you got a bad/mishandled batch. I've got HEF a few times from my local bottle-o and each time it has been superb and fresh tasting.

Burleigh Brewing's Hefe is more expensive than the German Hefes at Dans. :(

It's a good Hefe, but with all due respect, it ain't Schofferhoffer. It's $3 more for a sixpack ... for the beer made 5km down the road. :eek:

Burleigh Brewing's Hefe is more expensive than the German Hefes at Dans. :(

It's a good Hefe, but with all due respect, it ain't Schofferhoffer. It's $3 more for a sixpack ... for the beer made 5km down the road. :eek:

I think we might be talking company size now....compare Schofferhoffer to Burleigh Brewing, company size (people, overheads ect) and I can imagine it would be a massive difference

We all know stuff made in Australia always seems to cost more, I know that for a fact (I have worked in Importing/Exporting for the past 10+ years)

Latest posts

Back