Super Sweet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rehab

Reaction score
So I made a partial and used two cans Blackrock Extract 400g wheat 300 caramalt and 200g carapils. I am guessing I screwed the pooch on this one and it wont settle down in sweetness?
Mashed at 67 and fermented at 22 odd deg mostly. Odd night dropped to 14 but fixed that with electric blanket.

Also used a SH*T load of cascade.....

So I made a partial and used two cans Blackrock Extract 400g wheat 300 caramalt and 200g carapils. I am guessing I screwed the pooch on this one and it wont settle down in sweetness?
Mashed at 67 and fermented at 22 odd deg mostly. Odd night dropped to 14 but fixed that with electric blanket.

What was your boiling schedule for the hop additions?

assuming it fully fermented out...

pull 2L off, boil it with another shitload of cascade for an hour (to a rough level of bitterness you think it needs).
Chill it
pull out your hops if you don't have a way of filtering out in the keg.
add bubbles
taste.

So essentially you're adding bitterness to balance out some of the sweetness, sweetness.

BF

What was your boiling schedule for the hop additions?

2 g/l for 60,30,15,5,1 and DH with 80g.

USIPA

Fermented for two weeks from 1.072 (meant to hit 1.077 and ran low on DME) and hit 1.022... (Couldn't get lower on the fast ferment test so bottled)(Also tasted good at the time)

BF: If it hadnt tasted so bloody good in the fermenter I would have left it and would be able to use your great advise!

One week in the bottle (so 3 all up) I had a sneaky taste and it had change a fair bit to a very sweet brew...

Ill drink it for sure but just curious as to weather these things work themselves out with more time or weather this is just one of those things...

2 g/l for 60,30,15,5,1 and DH with 80g.

USIPA

Fermented for two weeks from 1.072 (meant to hit 1.077 and ran low on DME) and hit 1.022... (Couldn't get lower on the fast ferment test so bottled)(Also tasted good at the time)

BF: If it hadnt tasted so bloody good in the fermenter I would have left it and would be able to use your great advise!

One week in the bottle (so 3 all up) I had a sneaky taste and it had change a fair bit to a very sweet brew...

Ill drink it for sure but just curious as to weather these things work themselves out with more time or weather this is just one of those things...

Not only do you have a high grav beer that has conked out, a fair amount of crystal and extract and a reasonably high mash temp but you also have only had the beer in the bottle for a week so you may be getting unfermented priming sugar as well as the results of everything else.

I'm not surprised your beer is sweet.

In regards to the mash temp - did you have some base grain or did you just steep at 67 (in which case discount what I said about high mash temp but everything else is still relevant).

How carbed is it? If still a bit flat, the priming sugar is probably adding something.

Sorry, partly my fault for assuming you were kegging and not bottling.

Give it another 2-4 weeks in the bottle mate.
give it a chance to grow some legs.

After even 2 weeks in the bottle, it's still quite young.

So,
5 hop additions during the boil @ approx 40g an addition yeah?
should be sending your bitterness through the roof, if anything unbalancing towards bitterness, not giving you excessive sweetness.
approx 280g during 60min is a fair whack of cascade.
Are you sure you're not telling us porky pies here?

Anyway, for these bigger beers, aim your IBU levels around your SG, so if your estimated OG is 1077, aim for about 70-80 IBU's.

HTH

BF

Never mind the sweetness. If you have used the dark Black Rock extract you will likely soon be experiencing a very metalic taste you your brew. :eek:

Not only do you have a high grav beer that has conked out, a fair amount of crystal and extract and a reasonably high mash temp but you also have only had the beer in the bottle for a week so you may be getting unfermented priming sugar as well as the results of everything else.

I'm not surprised your beer is sweet.

In regards to the mash temp - did you have some base grain or did you just steep at 67 (in which case discount what I said about high mash temp but everything else is still relevant).

How carbed is it? If still a bit flat, the priming sugar is probably adding something.

I used wheat malt (400g of it) and instead mashed it in rather than steeping it along with the rest of the grains as I may have read or misread that wheat should be mashed... could be well wrong there though but I did that at 67 for an hour (which was better than my fail of 80 for an hour the first time I attempted AG and had a thermometer fail)
Then went into a 90 minute boil using US Cascade at 60, 15, 5, 1 and DH and Riwaka at 30(How could I forget that little gem).

Sorry, partly my fault for assuming you were kegging and not bottling.

Give it another 2-4 weeks in the bottle mate.
give it a chance to grow some legs.

After even 2 weeks in the bottle, it's still quite young.

So,
5 hop additions during the boil @ approx 40g an addition yeah?
should be sending your bitterness through the roof, if anything unbalancing towards bitterness, not giving you excessive sweetness.
approx 280g during 60min is a fair whack of cascade.
Are you sure you're not telling us porky pies here?

Anyway, for these bigger beers, aim your IBU levels around your SG, so if your estimated OG is 1077, aim for about 70-80 IBU's.

HTH

BF

No porkies here mate :icon_chickcheers:

It was tasting nice and bitterish in the fermenter and had nice aroma as well. I also noticed the aroma was near gone... hard to get aroma that lingers I guess...

As I said it was probably just my impatience in having it week 1 in the bottle. Im sure by week 4 it will have changed again.

You are correct. Malted wheat grain should be mashed.

400g at 67 wouldn't be the culprit though.

Just an update here. Beer has sorted itself out a bit however has a bit of twang associated with kits (I hope my burner arrives soon so I can fully throw myself back into AG) and a hint ,but not too much, metallic-ness. Very fruity and room to improve which I think the move back to the darkside and also rigging up my temp control will help do.

Back