Super Ferment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge

Reaction score
Ok, being a bit paranoid about infections. I've only had 3. But they where all AG and i've only done about 9 of them!

So as i had no wyeast starter, i thought i'd use safale. Thinking that throwing in an extra packet will help avoid any infection.

My beer dropped from 1.055 on friday to 1.012 todays, that's not even two days!!!! :blink:

Go figure

geez wedge, 3 infections out of nine sounds high (and no doubt frustrating). Were you able to track down where the infection might have come from? from the sounds of it you suspect your wyeast starter?

Reason i ask is i am just about to start using liquid (wyeast) and with all the extra "handling" of the yeast to make starters etc i am very sceptical about maintaining perfect sanitisation to avoid infections. Also, i don't know if i could really tell an infected starter from a normal one?

I have only used the safale up to now with great success, and yes, also had some mighty quick ferments with it when i rehydrate it and give it a good start... takes off like a rocket.

from looking in to it. It seems i haven't been pitching enough yeast earlier enough. Because of the full wort boil i cool my wort to 30ish, then wait 24hrs until my wort gets down to 20ishoC.

So my wort has 24 hours to attract any bacteria etc. and not little yeasties to stop any sort of infection.

Wyeast is great, just pitch when the starter it really going for it.

wedge said:
from looking in to it. It seems i haven't been pitching enough yeast earlier enough. Because of the full wort boil i cool my wort to 30ish, then wait 24hrs until my wort gets down to 20ishoC.

So my wort has 24 hours to attract any bacteria etc. and not little yeasties to stop any sort of infection.

I have always used wyeast and used a 1L starter, I have not had an infection to date out of 27 brews (touch wood). I dont always pitch at full krausen (alot of times a little too late). What size starters do you make?

wedge said:

Sorry just thought of a few other things, if you dont have a fridge and I didnt always at the start I hada seperate chiller coil immersed in bucket of ice water and could get down close to 20 in cooler weather, I also did 20L boils diluted with refrigerated 5L of pre boiled water which got to pitching temps. Your really playing at the mercy of immaculate sanitisation skill waiting till the brew reaches 20C. Hope this sort of helps a bit
Peter

I find safale (S-04) really fast. But that fits with the graph on the DCL website.

Is this a case of premature fermentation?

yeah, i've cottoned on to that! :) You just cant wait hours to pitch your yeast. ( i usually make a 1 ltr starter)

YES YES YES, Refer to my thread in BREWING QUESTION/ADVISE called Fastest Ferment Ever. My ESB stout went from 1042 TO 1016 In 2 days. Check oyt the DCL website and this is normal for this type of yeast.

Latest posts

Back