Super Dead Glasses

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roverfj1200

Reaction score
I have 2 Headstart glasses that no matter how hard I scub and clean that will not hold a head..

Any Ideas why...

Will buy a few new ones..

Cheers

soak them in a solution of very hot water and nappi san, rine when cold, then rinse again with a solution of vinegar and water

I'm no expert on this, but it could just be the beer your drinking. Me personally I find my ales will hold head a lot better then most other styles.

+ 1 stu soak them over night. I drop mine into the fermenter full of sodium perc at the end of the night when I get down 2 a few glasses fish them out and rinse and then rinse with vinegar and water. can use bicarb soda but the 100% sodium perc is there already and I am lazy

My Headstart glasses work great (sometimes a little too well) and they've only ever been rinsed in dishwater, maybe it's your beer?

Its not my beer as I can pour one bottle and get two different results in two glasses. It is the glasses no doubt.

Will soak in nappy san over night...

And cheers for the advice,,,

Dont wash the glasses in detergent .... it kills the head straight up !!!

Keep it simple people ...

Dishwasher are great for beer glasses, but make sure you use white vinegar as rinse-aid instead of finish

Dont wash the glasses in detergent .... it kills the head straight up !!!

Keep it simple people ...

I wash all my beer glasses in with the normal dishwashing water and detergent. Never had an issue yet. The pint glass I'm drinking from right now was washed in detergent and there is still head at the bottom of the glass after I've emptied it.

soak in Coopers Bottle Washing Powder and hot water for 15 minutes, rinse well with cold water, if that doesnt fix em their f&#ked.

BIL has some headmasters that do not make a difference, I think the little dotty holes get full of shit you cant get out, or they just wear out,
end of the day if you cant get a head with a clean headmaster you have a problem in your brew.

Never use any kind of detergent in your dishwasher, the powders designed for dishwashers will degrade your glass and make it even harder to get a head. Put them on a rinse cycle with water only if you must use the dishwasher. Pubs only use dishwashers because its assumed glasses will get smashed or stolen before they get too bad for use.

I use Sodium Percarbonate in my dishwasher, (Coopers is the same stuff) problem free.
Have a Duvel glass that has a D etched on the bottom; regularly get a perfect D in head on the beer.
The sand blasting/LASER etching on the bottom is to provide nucleating points (bubbles grow on sharp points) I have seen one publican refresh the etching with a bit of valve grinding paste on a stick.
Frankly if you are using a good surfactant like Perk, that will remove all the waxes and oils that build up over time, rinsing with anything other than tap water is a waste of time.

sodium polycarbonate will clean them better then anything. My filter gets back flushed and soaked in 1 table spoon of straight sodium perc and hot water left for 30 mins and back flushed again and it is like new every time. It eats away organic material. I soak a fermenter over night with yeast cake on it and its good as new no need for a cloth at all just rinse and sanitise when ready. Never had a infection and it can be reused

After originally having the same trouble as you and and posting a message here and talking to the guy at ballarat HBS, I now rinse mine out in my sterilising mixture (Iodophor) before I do my Stubbies and leave them to soak while I sterilise my stubs, I then rinse with a vinegar & water mix and dry with a unused tea towel and have found my problem solved.... another way is to get an electric engraver and do the re do the bottom of your glasses using that.... hope this helps

Headmaster glasses in the dishwasher with Select(Woolies) tabs with the dissolvable wrapper......... too heady at times. Non Headmaster glasses cut back the head to an acceptable level.

Using quality glasses is the go.

Headmaster glasses are a gimmick. They are only for show. It lets the "drinker" think that the beer is good by releasing the co2 quicker. They actually make your beer go flat.

Headmaster's helps beers like carlton draught and VB look good and lucky enough they aren't the type of beer that normally lasts long enough to go flat...

Haven't had any problems ever with any type of washing ever. I just rinse with hot water and chuck them in the dishwasher with the next lot. Same generic woollies tabs. Then again, none of my glasses are nucleated. The shape of the glass is enough to promote/contain a stable head.

Heh.

I have the opposite problem with my 2 new glasses I got for chrissy. They are some expensive polish glass which has not 1 single little blemish in it at all, beer stein shaped. I pour and get the head out of the tap, tastes great but you have to REALLY REALLY stare at it to see if there are bubbles. Mind you, I'm drinking a dark-ish amber at the moment, almost brown and not perfectly clear, but absolutely NO bubbles form on the edge of the glass after the first 30 seconds or so. Even commercial beers poured via stubby don't get bubbles much, tho it is definately not flat beer, bubbles are in my mouth, just doesn't look like they are in the glass!

Cheers,
Shred.

Back