Sunday Morning Bargains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sosman

beerling
Reaction score
This morning I wandered up and down the aisles at the wantirna trash and treasure. Among other things I saw:

- 0.1g accuracy scales, 0-500g $60

- Some 12V and 240 mag drive pumps, various prices (one was March brand and it had a brass head).

- I picked up a 1/4" BSP die which can make tapered threads parallel ;)

Driving on to FJ's in Bayswater, I saw that they have the 21mm, reduced shank drill bit for $17. From memory, these are the right size for drilling holes in kegs to take 1/2" BSP all thread (either get the smaller size and file out the hole) or get the next size up (check the size before you buy, my memory is a bit crusty).

These drill bits actually work, I have drilled several kegs with one with absolutely no drama (tool challenged people disregard).

Anyway, sometimes it pays to get out of bed Sunday morning and check out the local trash and treasure sales.

I picked up two bar stools for $15 this morning

Sosman

I would have liked one of those drill bits - if u have any spare or can get your hands on one at the price - please buy it for me...

Thanks

Ken...

GMK said:
I would have liked one of those drill bits - if u have any spare or can get your hands on one at the price - please buy it for me...
[post="56218"][/post]​
Ken - try getting it direct from "FJ's Discount Tools and Homewares" 705 Mountain Hwy Bayswater.

If you have no luck let me know and next time I drop in I can pick one up.

cheers

Hey SOS

just wondering if FJ's is one of those Vietnamese discount stores that sells tools and all other sorts of odds and ends, (like plastic Bhuddas) :) ?

I'm trying to get a 21mm red. shank bit myself to finish off a hole for a pipe thread because I'm making up a new kettle for gas (I'm turning the elec. boiler into a HLT).

We've got loads of these stores in the Northern subs. If so I'll pick one up myself. Only need to drill 2 holes. One for the tap and another for a sight glass.

Warren -

If you know someone with a lathe the shank reduction is a very simple task.

Might cost you a beer

Cheers

Beerpig said:
If you know someone with a lathe the shank reduction is a very simple task.
Might cost you a beer
[post="56331"][/post]​
Well I have a lathe but opted for the reduced shank bit.

warrenlw63 said:
just wondering if FJ's is one of those Vietnamese discount stores that sells tools and all other sorts of odds and ends, (like plastic Bhuddas) :) ?
[post="56299"][/post]​
Try them. FJ's is not Vietnamese but if you want a Buddha I'm sure they could order one in.

Thanks SOS,

I'll have a look around my neck of the woods first before venturing to the "far eastern 'burbs". Pascoe Vale Sth. to Bayswater would add about 10 dollars or more to the price give or take.

The places I was talking about are those Asian $2 type shops that have gone out of control. You can actually score some pretty nifty tools and kitchen, brewer friendly type articles at reasonable prices from them.

Case in point. I paid $21 (per pair) for steel, welded gate hinges from Bunnings a couple of months ago. I find out last week these places sell them for $7.50.

Keep the Buddha. I'm a good catholic boy. :lol:

Warren -

On Sunday I managed to score a stainless drip tray in perfect condition for $15

I was in FJ's yesterday and noticed the reduce shank big drills were reduced to under $13. Didn't get a close look at what sizes were left so its probably worth a call if you are thinking of heading in there.

Back