Sunday Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Iguana

Reaction score
The womans away at work....i'm free as a bird today....time to brew..

Here's the planned brew..i will be starting to heat the strike water in an hour...Please feel free to suggest any changes to the recipie...aiming for a fullers type ale...

4 kg pilsner malt
0.4 kg light munich
0.4 kg flaked maize
0.3kg Caramalt (ebc 60)

12 g target (10 %) @ 60mins
25 g goldings (4.1%) @ 10mins
12 g goldings (4.1%) @ 5 mins
12 g goldings (4.1%) @ 1 min

1 ltr starter of WLP002 English ale

i have made fullers but it looks good but i not sure about the flaked maize as i think that may lighten the body of the beer or flavour reducing i know jm loves maize in a bitter

I think that the max % for flaked maize is 10 %...this recipie has about 7 %.... you are right about lightening the body.....however the maize is meant to impart a subtle corn flavour as well....i really don't kbow but as this is the first time i have mashed with it......

Anyone have some advice about the use of flaked maize?

Hi GI,
The recipe looks good however I tend to think the same as Jasman re the flaked maize.
At the quantity you have chosen it should be OK and after all it is an experiment.
What I tend to do is to only go for about 5% when I am trying something unless it is a really dark grain in which case I go a lot less again.
I have no Target hops so I would use say Northern Brewer.
Give it a go and let us all know how it goes.

On another note I have just noticed that I have been using the same quote from Henny Youngman as you for a signature.
I apologise for this and I will change mine immediately as I only came across this quote about 3 or 4 weeks ago. - It is a good one tho'.

Cheers

I'll go wth the 0.4 kg of maize and post how it turns out.....

No worries about the quote Dicko.....i didn't notice...it's all good

heating sparge water now..first brew on my newly completed two tier...

Latest posts

Back