Summit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Current master recipe posted here Wolfman and BBB...

Sorry, grain bill above is from a batch I upped due to efficiency woes on the new rig...

Anyway, weren't we talking about Summit? Oh yeah, great bittering hop.

I have a vague recollection of an off-hand comment on the BN that the onion/cat-piss flavors from Simcoe are the result of the hops being left on the bine a little too long. It increases the alpha but begins to produce the undesirable flavors. It could be the same with summit.

Home grown Chinook, left a lil' longer than I should have, and used fresh (wet) produced a distinct onion/shallot flavour in my harvest beer this year. Faded with time.

Seems consistant with the above, and perhaps Florians comment about hops growing in parks around Berlin if they had been hanging around a bit too long.

Never found the onion flavour with Simcoe, love that hop!

Used summit (from Niko) twice now in my Rye IPA ... bittering, late hops and dry hops... both times the result has been good with no obvious onion flavour.

I did mix with cascade though on both occasions.

No complaints really... nice citrus twang and smooth like Magnum.

:icon_offtopic: I would just like to pause and appaude Cocko for his balanced and informative posts during this thread.
You truly are an AHB poster boy, and offically my hero (you c*@t....)
Cheers
BBB

:icon_offtopic: I would just like to pause and appaude Cocko for his balanced and informative posts during this thread.
You truly are an AHB poster boy, and offically my hero (you c*@t....)
Cheers
BBB

I must warn readers that there is a swear coming up in the next sentence, if use of profanity offends you please do not read any further in to this post, TY.

OI! BBB, **** off. :p

That is all, carry on.

Anyone used 2012 summit hops from yakimavalley?
i was wondering if the crop they have is suffering this onion problem.
cheers in advance

malt_shovel said:
Anyone used 2012 summit hops from yakimavalley?
i was wondering if the crop they have is suffering this onion problem.
cheers in advance
I've used the 2012 twice now. Lovely hop. Absolutely no onion or garlic. I think you just need a steady hand. I did a simple 25 litre pilsener and it was fantastic. Bittered 60 mins with 10g, 15g at 15 mins, and 15g at 1 min. Crisp summer sipper.

Made an apa with summit and zythos, 2011 Yakima, tiny bit for bittering and the rest cube hopped. Tasted awesome in the fermenter, great citrus. Kegged it last night and tried a sample of the leftovers and spat the vile garlic beast it had become out. Cleaning the fermenter it was giving off the nicest citrus aroma..... hoping it will come good after a few weeks in the keg.

Tried the APA again now that its carbed up. The strong garlic taste has faded a fair bit, i managed to finish the glass. It still has a very odd taste. If you crushed up some lychees, green grapes and spring onions together you'd just about have it. I'll try a glass every week or two and hope it improves.

Had another glass last night, garlic seemed to have nearly completely faded, gives it a background savoury bite that is almost enjoyable now. I gave some to the mrs and she enjoyed it. Its pretty light for an APA, no big citrus flavours coming through,a bit of grapefruit, lychees and pine.

I don't think I'll use it again. There are just too many 'safer' similar alternatives

Don't be afraid of this hop. It is really quite nice, and as I found out, quite forgiving. Its a bit of a story....
I was planning to back to back beers, both 25 litres. One 10 minute Summit Pisener, and a Bluetongue Lager. I had planned to use one 50g addition of Summit at 10 minutes. The wort came to the boil, and without thinking, I threw in the hops. While they were still in the air heading for the boiler, I realised my mistake. At 17% apha, his is going to be one bitter beer. What to do? I ended up reducing the boil to 40 minutes. I then did the second (Bluetongue grain bill) and did not add any bittering hops, just 20g at 10 mins, and 30g at flame out. I then blended the two beers into two fermenters.
Anyhoo, to cut a long story sort, I had two and a half kegs of Mistake Summit Lager. I am just finishing the first keg, and it is a very nice beer. Again, absolutely no onion or garlic, just a floral, stone fruit type flavour this hop throws. Disaster averted. One and a half kegs to go.
I will definitely have Summit as one of my regular beer hops, but I migt have to give them a bit of a break before I do my next one.

I have half a pound of the stuff but now I'm too scared to try it after reading this thread.

I've been using it for bittering with good results, no garlic etc just clean bittering.
I may try it late in an APA or IPA as I still have heaps myself.

Cheers for that, SA. I might try it in a blonde as a single addition to see how it goes.

I've used it a few times bittering only and it's great. Even the cube hopped APA I did above has come good, won't repeat it though. Bittering only.

I am nearing the end of a IPA with millennium and summit late and dry hopped with summit only. One of my nicest IPA. Plenty of ripe citrus fruit. It contributed an almost sweetness to a fairly heavily hopped beer. I will definitely get more given it's price compared to other more popular american hops.

Latest posts

Back