Summer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made an American wheat with centennial and summer. Turned out a cracker of a beer. Planing a kolsch with all summer next brew day.
I really like this hop for its light spicy character. Dry hopping with it tends to bring out the fruit a bit more. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Ok so I've been using this hop a fair bit lately (maybe 6 or so beers) in combination with Citra, galaxy, Ella, cascade and motueka to name a few.
I've been struggling to see what it brings to the table so I've just done an all summer pale ale to about 32 IBU with additions at 20 5 0 and dry hop. Total of 10 g/L.
I can't help but feel a little underwhelmed.
It's got a nice smooth bitterness but flavour and aroma are pretty low.
The flavour is kinda watermelony and I get a hint of citrus aroma. But it's rather a small hint.

So 200g in a 20l batch and you're underwhelmed?? Wow.

Don't know what quantities bridge rd use, but there is quite a good whack of aroma/flavour in their summer pale ale.

I've used Summer in a number of Pale Ales, an IPA and a couple of Saison's.

At 2 g/ L it will bring up that fresh cut melon character and a little stonefruit/apricot combo. Doesn't really suit a lot of really dry finishing beers IMHO. But if there's enough malt body with a slight residual sweetness for a big load of hops, it can really pop.

That said, i have found it quite pleasant at 2g/L in AG Saisons with the funk, a bit of fruitiness is still quite pleasant and accentuated nicely with the fruity malt notes of 120L or Briess Extra Special Malt in the grain bill.

It's worth playing with a bit more. I think SAAZ is more of a breed reference than an indication of flavour.

Martin

I wish I had read this post before using Summer for the first time in a summer blonde today. I dropped just under 1g/l @ 35, 25 & 10 minutes and from what you gents are saying, I might not have been heavy-handed enough. Maybe I'll just dry hop it with the 30g of Summer I have left and hope for the best...

Wonder how Summer might pair with Maris Otter?

I made a very nice amber ale using summer, but most other beers I've used it in didn't seem to add much. I'd agree with the suggetion that it works well with a decent malt base.

pajs said:
Wonder how Summer might pair with Maris Otter?
It pairs very very well. I've had success with a simple blonde grist of 85% Maris otter and 15% wheat with all summer. Mashed low for a dry finish and then went heavy on the dry hop (2.5g/litre) with us-05 as the yeast. Had an amazing honeydew melon flavour and aroma from the summer hops.

Hmmmmm. Just used Summer at slightly >2g/L for an all Australian IPA. Underwhelmed. Nothing there really. Its a nice beer, beautifully balanced and if you were told it was an APA you'd believe it. Scarily, 7% alc is hidden. I wanted an IPA though, hence the 2g/L
I read how Summer comes into itself as a dry hop. I didnt get that at all.
Bit of a let down really. Its nice, but not a genuine dry hop champion.

Summer is now used by Cascade for their reduced strength new incarnation of Premium Lager. Haven't tried it yet as I'm miffed that their original Premium was not only 5% but finished with Hersbrucker. It was a fair drop that could hold its head up against a good Euro.

A stubby or two of the new Premium might give a clue about what flavours it imparts.

Copy-pasted from here:

I recently made a brew with 4kg of JW pale and 200g Redback. I've never used Summer before and similarly, went 100% to see what the hops were all about. I can't remember the exact details but went -

15g at 60 min
25g at whirlpool
25g in cube
35g dry hopped

Mangrove Jack's M44 sprinkled for my first successful APA with dry yeast ever. Got to 1.008 I think, around 5% ABV.
It's been 3 weeks in the keg and I cracked it yesterday. Very full-flavoured beer with a lot of malt and hops going on. The Redback adds a slightly amber hue which genuinely is pleasant to look at. There's a lot going on hop-wise, and it's more bitter than I thought it would be. Not getting a heap of melon like I expected, but the interesting... tangerine? flavour from the Redback is playing with the melon to make for a very interesting beer. Not my favourite, but I think would be well received by APA fans. It's like there's a bit of a fruit salad happening, mixing blue and yellow to make green. The pairing seems to work.

Regarding the hops, my impression is the later the better. I was expecting a light impact so went a little heavy (I call 100g in a pale ale getting heavy). Next time I would bitter with something else (or forgo it to a late addition), focus on the cube hopping with no late additions and dry hop to the same levels

Latest posts

Back