Summer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PostModern

Iron Wolf Brewery
Reaction score
Summer Saaz hop pellets. AUS - Crop '08 (AA 4.7%)
The Australian hop selection Summer Saaz is an aroma variety grown by Hop Products Australia since 1997.
Summer Saaz is characterised by balanced, sweet, and fruity hop aromas. Even the untrained nose is quick to detect passionfruit, citrus and melon. It has been noted to be similar in character to the Czech Saaz parent, but without the spicy characteristic
Origin
Summer Saaz was bred at Hop Products Australia, Tasmanian Bushy Park breeding garden in 1997. This cultivar was bred via open pollination of a tetraploid Czech Saaz mother.
Analytical Data
Yield (Kg/Ha) 1800 � 2000
Alpha acids (%) 5.4 - 7.5
Beta acids (%) 4.8 - 6.7
Alpha/Beta Ratio 1.1 - 1.5
Cohumulone (%) 22.5 - 25
Total Oils (ml/100g) 1.3
Myrcene (% of whole oil) 13.0
Humulene (% of whole oil) 45.2
Beta Caryophyllene (% of whole oil) 14.8
Humulene/Caryophyllene ratio 3.0
Farnesene (% of whole oil) 0.1
MOD: Above added by Lord Raja Goomba I, to allow hop descriptors to appear as the first post.

MOD: Original post below

Summer Saaz is a mis-named hop. Whatever it's lineage, given how the finished product tastes, it's a crime imho to call it anything Saaz. Boring and lifeless hop character combined with low alpha. What every brewer's hop fridge doesn't need.

Summer Saaz is a mis-named hop. Whatever it's lineage, given how the finished product tastes, it's a crime imho to call it anything Saaz. Boring and lifeless hop character combined with low alpha. What every brewer's hop fridge doesn't need.

Man!
I can't disagree more PM,I did a Pilsner with Summer Saaz @ 20 and 0 and it's a cracker.
Sorry but I love this hop,and for it's flavour as well, to me is far from boring.Oh and I think Saaz is a fair term for it as well.
Perhaps try it again?

Batz

Man!
I can't disagree more PM,I did a Pilsner with Summer Saaz @ 20 and 0 and it's a cracker.
Sorry but I love this hop,and for it's flavour as well, to me is far from boring.Oh and I think Saaz is a fair term for it as well.
Perhaps try it again?

Batz
It is a nice hop but it is nothing like a CZ saaz.So I think IMHO it should be called some thing else other than Saaz "what ever", (marketing ploy) we don't have to follow the Euro names to make our hops acceptable for use.We grow some of the best hops in the world and at the moment at a much lesser price.Apples and oranges are not the same nor are the hops.Be happy you can still buy good Aussie hops with out giving an arm or a leg.Get behind the Aussie hop growers and they will plant more of what you want.
GB

...summer saaz is not bad...bit like a fairly subtle and/or less intense amarillo...you can certainly make it work with the right recipe...dont expect CZ saaz spice/pepper tho'...my intro to Galaxy was the Wig & Pen's Rumpole Pale Ale...Richard made that hop sing like a bird in that one...sensational

Man!
Perhaps try it again?

Batz

...summer saaz is not bad...bit like a fairly subtle and/or less intense amarillo...you can certainly make it work with the right recipe...dont expect CZ saaz spice/pepper tho'...my intro to Galaxy was the Wig & Pen's Rumpole Pale Ale...Richard made that hop sing like a bird in that one...sensational

In light of these comments, I might give it another go. Could have just tried some out of a bad batch. I used 1.5g/l in standard house ale recipe and couldn't taste any hops at all.

I am drinking my Summer Saaz Pilsner now,fantastic beer !
Ok I apologize it's not a real Saaz,but I can taste a little Saaz back there,this is a great Aussie Pilsner.
I'll have a keg at the swap !

Batz

Summer Saaz I was really underwhelmed by. I found the bitterness to be not as clean as I like. & the flavour & aroma subtle, & not unpleasant. Slighty Saazish with a little grass & fruitiness. & very Australian (if I can use the term). Interestingly a friend of mine, after 1 sip, gave me back a glass of my 100% Summer Saaz & JW Trad Ale & commented "I don't like POR"

Galaxy OTOH is one of my new favourites. In your face tropical fruit & similar to Southern Cross & Nelson Sauvin to my tastes.

Perhaps try it in pilsner as it should be.

Summer Saaz I was really underwhelmed by. I found the bitterness to be not as clean as I like. & the flavour & aroma subtle, & not unpleasant. Slighty Saazish with a little grass & fruitiness. commented "I don't like POR

That much sounds like a Pilsner hop to me,how do you use imported Sazz?
Don't like POR? Needs to drink some well brewed beers.
I love Aussie hops and I love Aussie malts....perhaps it's because of where I was born :icon_cheers:

Batz

That much sounds like a Pilsner hop to me,how do you use imported Sazz?

Generally at the end but I have used it for bittering in the past. Aswell as front to back in ales too. I find the Summer variety a little more coarse than the imported. Just my opinion though.

made 63L of all millenium apa the other day.

next up will be another apa with millenuim for bittering and summer sazz late.

made 63L of all millenium apa the other day.

next up will be another apa with millenuim for bittering and summer sazz late.

Any of this heading to Tallarook next week Fents ?

Rook

sure why not! keg of mill on its way to the tulla of rook!

so ive changed my mind on summer saaz. dont like it. guess i was hoping for more of chech saaz taste but was dissapointed.

Yet to use Galaxy yet, but I have some and Im really looking forward to trying it.

Used "Summer Saaz" in a lager/pilsner with Super Alpha for bittering, the Summer Sazz additions were at 20, 10 and flame out along with WL 833.

Its not a bad beer, just not really that interesting, I don't get any of the flavours some have suggested, certainly noy citrusy, or even spicy like Czech Sazz, at a blind tasting I would have guessed it was "Nugget".

Not bad as I said above , but when there are so many other hop options I wouldn't use it again.

As previously noted in this thread, probably 'Summer Saaz" is a poor name choice I would suggest "Nugget Lovechild" would be more accurate.

Cheers,
BB

after trying a two birds golden ale the other day im now interested in the summer hop variety. i absolutly loved the slightly apricot like finish so was hoping some one might know if these are availble to home brewers yet. i would love to try them in an american wheat.

Summer
Summer is a unique seedless aroma hop developed and grown in Australia. Summer provides distinctive light apricot and melon fruit notes nicely balanced by a background hop character which can be used to great effect in many beer styles.

Being low in alpha acid, brewers can be very flexible with their dosing when using this hop for flavour and aroma

Pretty sure it is the same as Summer Saaz stocked by Craftbrewer and they have just dropped the Saaz from the name.

I'm planning on using them in my next brew. my LHBS has them (thanks Nige :beer: ). I really like the sound of the flavour profile, though i've also noticed that there are quite a few who didnt seem to like them much...

if its the same as summer saaz, its a good building block hop. alright on its own but great when put with something similar to bulk it out.

thanks guys. looks like i might order some of those flowers from nige. the two birds beer used motueka as well as summer so may even try a combo of the two, or maybe do a simple smash first and see what is what.

Love me a good grave dig. Body's still warm on this one though...

I've got a few of these hops kicking about and would really appreciate any feedback people have that have used them. In particular, any combos that do or don't go well together.

Latest posts

Back