Summer Mid Strength Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tips have for making lower ABV with full hop flavours/aromas

1 - mash at higher temps, 70c for 30mins works well to get a FG of 1012-1014
2 - use wheat or oats to soften the mouthfeel - 5-10% is plenty
3 - add carapils, this adds body to the beer with the dextrins use about 8%
4 - add hops FWH = 4-5ibu, get a little bitterness from that addition
5 - add a heap late after 5mins to ramp up to 30ibu+
6 - dont be shy with the dry hop, 5g/L will get her jumping from the glass

if you are playing with your water, also target a crisp 5.2 for the mash and get the sulphate around 150ppm

You are a legend...thanks!!!!

You are a legend...thanks!!!!

hi,

i seen the video last night on Facebook, looking forward to the review of the final beer.

What hop schedule did you go with for boil additions?

p.s aussie slang - a shit load of hops, hahahahahahaha

Hey guys

As a family man, trying to teach his kids to be good humans, I am pretty keen to not get blind drunk in front of them, which means I drink a bit of mid strength beer. Being that the good Craft MS's are something like $80 a case, I often find myself with a Gold Can in hand.

I have written about this category in the past on my blog, (http://beerhealer.com/index.php/2016/12/04/mid-strength-craft-beer-can-dig/) and I am a passionate advocate for these style of beers. In the past I have tried to brew my own lower ABV beers, but most of my efforts in the past have been pretty ordinary. Getting a good beer that hots the mark for taste, aroma and mouth feel is difficult when you are taking away a lot of the ingredient that provide those characteristics.

I am really loving the Rover Henty St Ale right now as a lower ABV option, but also love the Green Beacon Half Mast which is similar...and I guess both are not too far from being lower ABV versions of S&W PA.

Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you guys had any tips on how to brew a decent AG Mid Strength Summer Ale?

Cheers

Chris
I bought the CAMRA UK recipe book a few years back and it has loads of brews (full and steeping/extract) and many are around the 3.5/4% mark. It’s served me well for ale recipes.

Anyone got a brewdog dead pony club clone? These come in at 3.8%.

I can vouch for this beer...mine is tasting great!!!
Mine is cold crashing at the moment and my keezer is at a mates place after his party. I won’t see it back again for a week and the suspense is beginning to mount.
A metric shit ton of dry hops has the gravity samples pretty aromatic but it needs carbing and some time to soften

Brulosophy recently did an experiment making the same recipe mashing at 64/73 and found the taste differences to not be ‘significant’. Might be worth looking into, you can brew your 4.9% recipe and it will end up 3.3% and taste similar.

Thinking I’m going to have a crack at this in summer for a low abv option. Guess one potential downside is you are getting low abv standard calories if that is a consideration. :bigcheers:

Back