Summer Ales?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dane

Reaction score
I currently have a larger on the go (my first) and am looking forward to the outcome...however the time waiting is killing me. In the mean time I want to start a ale so I can 'pump it out quick' and enjoy over the summer period. Any suggestions on a great strong summer ale for those backyard cricket days?

Easy.

1 x Blackrock Pilsner Blonde
1 x 1.5 kg Morgan's Extra Pale malt
100g Munich grain, steeped in a coffee plunger for 30 minutes
20g Tettnanger hops, steeped in hot water for 20 minutes

Nice and pale with a good level of hop character.
Of course if you don't like tettnanger, try any of the other german style hops.

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

Gravity wise (start and finish) and alcohol levels...what would I be looking for with that recipe?

I've never used any grain for my kits....for the "100g Munich grain, steeped in a coffee plunger for 30 minutes", what it the actual process of this?

Gravity and alcohol ... I don't recall off the top of my head. OG is somewhere in the vicinity of 1.045.

As for the grain method, you put the grain in the coffee plunger and fill it with water hot from the kettle (you don't have to worry about proper mash temperatures as you are only after the colour and flavour from this). You let it steep for about 30 minutes then you push the plunger down to compact the grain and pour the liquid into your fermenter. You then discard the grain - having fulfilled its purpose. The reason I use a coffee plunger is that you don't really want any grain in the brew itself, just the liquid from the steep and the plunger makes this alot easier than straining through a colander or mash bag.

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

Thanks Pete,

I'll probably go up and get the ingredients today, do most brew shops have the 100g Munich grain (if not anywhere else where to get it).

What type of beer does this make? Any comparisons? Overall tastes/flavours?

Back