Summer Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbowers

Reaction score
I'm going to brew Ross' Summer Ale again some time soon, but am looking at using something other than NS. Was thinking one of the newer NZ hop varieties. Can anyone make any recommendations on a NZ hop that will lend an interesting but appropriate flavour and aroma to this light bodied summer ale?

I just did one with Southern Cross that I'm quite enjoying. Some of the more hardened megaswillers I handed a bottle of the NS version to thought it was "too fruity" so I think they may like this version more.

I'm looking for fruity - that's what I love about the NS. Looking at Grain and Grape's current hop stock on the website, doesn't seem as though they have much of the newer NZ varieties. I do have a kilo of Sauvin, might just stick with that...

I have a batch done with Motueka that has finished fermenting and will be bottled tonight.

Yep, use any hop variety u like! 1 addition at 15 min 30ibu's.I've done this a couple a times now, citra is my hop of choice!!!!

Just kegged 4 kegs of the Nelson one 5 mins ago.

Might try citra next time round if i can't find a good golden or brown ale to try it in. I have a kilo of it and was looking for a recipe to try it out in.

I brewed this one recently with Pacific Jade, which came off very well. The flavour/aroma was described by one of my friends as "mango", although I didn't quite get that myself. Tropical, yes, but not passion-fruity or winey. I wouldn't hesitate to brew it again.

Citra is another one I wouldn't mind trying this recipe with.

Cheers,
tallie

can anyone tel me where this recipe is ?.
have looked in the recipe db but find it.(maybe going blind).......cheers......spog............

I have 50L of this conditioning in the keg now but next time I was thinking of using Saaz-D Riwaka when it comes available again. I love that hop really passion fruity.
Now I think about it the last addition in the summer ale i used half NS and half saaz-D. Should be interesting.

can anyone tel me where this recipe is ?.
have looked in the recipe db but find it.(maybe going blind).......cheers......spog............

go to recipe DB. click on the little arrow next to "rating". Will be third from the top.

got it .........cheers.......spog.......

I have 50L of this conditioning in the keg now but next time I was thinking of using Saaz-D Riwaka when it comes available again. I love that hop really passion fruity.
Now I think about it the last addition in the summer ale i used half NS and half saaz-D. Should be interesting.

I think it'd work really well with Riwaka too. When I can get it again. I'm doing the NS again tomorrow, but going to try a big hit of 5 min additions. Such a simple recipe, and one so open to experimentation!

Latest posts

Back